Medical Questions > Nutrition > Gluten Free Diet Forum

What Is Xanthan Gum, And Why Is It In Every Bread Recipe?

User Profile
Xanthan gum is a powder-like substance used in Gluten free baking. Gluten is the substance in regular flour that helps to bind ingredients together and keeps them from falling apart. When you bake with Gluten Free flours, this binding property is absent. Xanthan gum is a by-product protein coat derived from inactive bacterium. You have probably had this many times, as it is a very common ingredient in salad dressings and condiments. A teaspoon or two of this is all you need in each recipe to provide the necessary binding in your baked goods. Xanthan gum is rather expensive-10-12 dollars in US Supermarkets, but since only a very small amount is needed each time, it is well worth the purchase. Bob's Red Mill is a dedicated Gluten Free Baking Products Company available at many Health food stores and also on the net. Guar gum is another binding agent which can be used, but caution should be heeded, in that guart gum is known to have a very strong laxative effect on those not accustomed to its use.

Happy Baking!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 30th, 2009
Xanathan Gum
I wouuld like to make coffee cake, and i am unable to get the gum, is there anything else I can use?
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied August 22nd, 2012
I used guar gum once and it worked well but not as good as xanthan gum. I did find this site if it helps you.
|
Must Read
Is Celiac disease a food allergy? (it is not) What causes Celiac and what puts you at risk for developing it? Basic facts about Celiac Disease here....
What can trigger celiac disease? And who is at risk of developing the disorder? Click here to learn more....
A range of symptoms manifest during Celiac Disease. Learn what signs and symptoms to look for, and when to seek help....