Medical Questions > Womens Health > Fertility Forum

What infertility tests can we take?

Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
User Profile
i have been with my boyfriend for 5 years and we have been trying to get pregnant for over 1 year.i think there is something wrong with me.can u give me some hints on what to do?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied May 3rd, 2007
Fertility Answer A2674
You are asking about sterility problem but you'll also need to provide data about your last menstruation, cycle duration, period regularity, etc. A sterility problem can be caused principally by the woman, your partner or both people. First, your partner should be examined because medical investigations for male sterility are simpler than for female sterility. A spermogram and sperm functional tests can be performed. Further medical investigations (chromosomal, biopsy) can be done if the previously mentioned exams require them.
For females, the diagnostic procedures are more complicated and include several procedures which could be very unpleasant for a woman (some of them):
1. Hormonal blood analyses (FSH, LH, prolactin, estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, DHEA, thyroxin…) are requested to reveal the function of the axis hypothalamus-pituitary gland-ovaries;
2. Vaginal examination with microbiological smears for STD and PAP-test are standard diagnostic procedures for detecting some possible causes for sterility;
3. Vaginal ultrasounds reveal the anatomy of the inner reproductive organs and some of its functions (endometrial thickness and ovulation);
4. Hystero-salpingo-graphy (HSG)-contrast X-ray procedure will diagnose the conductivity of the uterine cave and tubes;
5. Laparoscopy with hysteroscopy reveal the anatomy of the inner reproductive organs, and
6. Chromosomal or genetic investigations.
First 3 procedures are standard and the last 3 can be done if necessary. You can consult a gynecologist in order to follow up.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Fertility , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.