I have a 16 year old that has been vomiting almost every day since last August.
Initially symptoms started when he was working at a fast food place and was eating fast food. At that time vomiting was only when he ate fast food. His initial diagnosis was acid reflux, and was given prevacid.

He quit the job, but the stomach problems have increased. He is sick almost every day, usually in the middle of dinner is nauseous and feeling the need to throw up, or almost immediately after. As he eats you can see his face changing colors, as the nauseusness increases.

Endoscope on upper GI showed only scalloping of duodenum, biopsy showed mild damage, possibly early celiac

Swallow test was normal, (ie normal time is up to 2 hours to empty, his time was 1 hr 57 min)

Ultrasound of Gallbladder and liver, showed only few cholesterol crystal floating in gallbladder

At ER yesterday, complaining of sharp pains on left side, especially when standing. Xray done, no masses or strictures, but lots of stool matter, told maybe it was constipation and gave us a laxative.

Any ideas on what they need to do???
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 23rd, 2007
Supporter
Hi
Jeez this is an awful young age for such a young man to be having so many problems. My advice would be to find another gastroent. Dr and tell him exactly what the symptoms are, the test that have been taken, sign a release so this new physican can have copies of everything done faxed to him. If these tests were done within a few weeks, it could save you money on having to get this done by new physican. There has to be someone out there who cna find out whats causing him to be in such agony. Mine turned out ot be helicobacter pylori, in which I antibiotics are clearing the gastritis up. I do hope you find a good physican and he helps this young man!
|

User Profile
replied April 23rd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Hello there! If your son has duodenal damage, then "early Celiac" disease is the diagnosis i would go with. I am also a celiac and had symptoms similar to your son's. He needs to be on a strict Gluten Free diet. This is something he has to do for the rest of his life. It is to be taken very seriously. Please see the post on the Celiac Disease Forum for more information. Any damage in the duodenum should be taken as the gold standard for the diagnosis. Please help him now before he develops complications. He will feel better soon!

http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/groups/g rpus-id.html

Above is a link to support ggroups in Idaho. They are most helpful in getting started. Feel free to ask more specific questions in the Celiac disease forum if you would like more info. Good luck.
|

replied May 1st, 2007
Thank you both for your advice, while I feel my son still has stomach problems (early celiac) I haven't read of anyone with this vomiting all the time with this. My son doesn't even keep his food down long enough to digest it.

I went back to the pediatrician and asked, if the stomach wasn't the problem, could anything else make him vomit. The doc asked my son if he had been having headaches as well, which apparently he has, he just hadn't told me. The doc ordered a CT scan

A CT Scan followed by MRI show he has a brain tumour in his basal ganglia. So not sure what the prognosis is going to be, we're going down to see a neurosurgeon at a local Children's hospital.
|
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...