I just found out about a week ago that I have ovarian cancer. I am extremely scared due to the fact that I am only 21 years old and I really do not want to believe something like this could happen. I have never been too keen on having kids, but from what my doctors and now my soon to be surgeon is telling me, I will not have that option in my future. I guess being a normal human, now I want that option. What if my fiance and I change our minds later on down the road and want a child of our own?? I really do not even know what to think about this situation..
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 24th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
It is scary, but you are still young. There are amazing medical advances every day. In the area of fertility, this came out recently:

"German scientists have manipulated human stem cells, extracted from bone marrow, into immature sperm cells....But the technique, which could also be adapted to counter female infertility by growing eggs in a lab, raises the prospect of children being born through entirely artificial means...."
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,2 1985,21553043-663,00.html

That's pretty amazing. Maybe it is not something that will be perfected in the next ten, or even fifty years, but it certainly gives a lot of hope to people who are worried about whether or not they will be able to have children in the future. Who knows when we'll have this kind of stuff available to us?

There's also adoption, of course, which I think is a wonderful thing.
|

User Profile
replied April 24th, 2007
Experienced User
Re: Just Found Out...
kmartin85 wrote:
I just found out about a week ago that I have ovarian cancer. I am extremely scared due to the fact that I am only 21 years old and I really do not want to believe something like this could happen. I have never been too keen on having kids, but from what my doctors and now my soon to be surgeon is telling me, I will not have that option in my future. I guess being a normal human, now I want that option. What if my fiance and I change our minds later on down the road and want a child of our own?? I really do not even know what to think about this situation..

that's sad. I'm sorry to hear. I believe that is hard to cope, even the thought of not having children down the road. adoption is always a second hand choice. especially being that america is well consumed of cancer victims. do you usually have a properly healthy diet? any history of cancer in the early years of your family?
|
Must Read
Cervical cancer typically develops over many years. But when does cervical cancer occur and how do doctors define the disease? ...
How are HPV and cervical cancer related? And how can you place yourself out of risk for developing cervical cancer? More here....
Abnormal menstruation can be a sign of cervical cancer. Learn the signs and symptoms of serious "female problems" and when to seek medical help here....