Medical Questions > Mental Health > Panic Attacks Forum

Night Time Anxiety (???)

i've been waking up an hour or so after I go to bed at night and I feel very weird. My mind is telling me to get up and panic and pace around the house looking out windows or get up and watch tv or read a book or magazine and i'm so tired I just want to sleep. Sometimes I feel like i'm 3 different people all shouting stuff out. This is happening either every night or at least 3 or 4 times a week. I am so tired and I need sleep. I fall asleep in the chair or on the couch and i'm fine until I go to bed. I almost dread going to bed. When I do sleep I have weird hidious dreams that make no sense at all. I try and stay in bed but I get dizzy feeling so I jump up and pace around the house or watch tv for an hour and then I go back to bed and sleep until it's time to get up. Can this be from perimenapause or just plain anxiety? My health is good and I can't take any medicine cause that makes me freak out worse. During the day time I am fine. What is happening to me? Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper foxycutty
|

User Profile
replied April 20th, 2007
Community Volunteer
Hello and welcome,

Sounds to me like you are having panic attacks. Try and do some breathing excersices and meditation before bed.

We have a panic attack forum, where I will move this and see if you can get some help there.
|

User Profile
replied April 20th, 2007
Community Volunteer
You may actually be experiencing a sugar problem from your hormones. Try eating some protein before you go to sleep, perhaps some cheese or a hard boiled egg, and see if that helps.
|

replied April 23rd, 2007
Panic Attacks And Bad Sleeping Habits
Hi, I can see a couple problems going on here. The first is easy to solve. You're setting yourself up for disturbed sleep by falling asleep the way you do on a chair or sofa. I take it this means before your bedtime. But whether it's before or not, what happens is you wake up in an hour or so and your brain doesn't know what's going on. Maybe you've already entered a dream phase. Whatever the case, your brain gets confused. I'm sure this isn't all of the problem but it surely makes it worse.

You need to stay awake and alert until your normal bedtime. It will help if it's not too early so you're really tired when you do go to bed. Then go to sleep in your bed, in the dark and your chances of staying asleep will be greater. You may still wake up with a panic attack but I bet your period of sleep will get longer and longer.

The other issue is breathing. You should learn slow breathing and do it for 15 minutes before bedtime. Then do it immediately again when you wake up disturbed. There's nothing that will relieve you more than this. It's the ultimate coping mechanism.

But this has to be learned the right way. I recommend the Breatheasy system. It combines slow breathing with music. Nothing else like it. You can get free instructions plus an online audio demo at http://www.control-your-blood-pressure.com /demo.html
|

replied April 27th, 2007
i suffer from this as well and im in my early twenties. i think when there are things on your mind or if your stressed out about something its always going to be in the back of your mind. i have been having strange sensations like this in the night. definatly try breathing exercises when this happens and just tell yourself that your going to be ok. say a prayer or ask God to be with you and he will be. Im not a religious fanatic, but a little prayer when your feeling like this can help.
|

replied April 6th, 2011
im 17 and i have the same thing my father is 43 and he had it for 10 years untill he he just kept telling him self he will be ok over and over again he has not had a anxiety attack in 4 years im still working on it thoe.....
|

User Profile
replied June 13th, 2007
I get that too about an hour after I fall asleep - most nights. I was on an anti-dep years ago that stopped it entirely, and after getting off them I didn't have it again until about a year ago. They just started coming back just a few days ago on a nightly basis. I am 12 weeks pregnant. I think for the most part these are due to hormones and being tired. They are scary, but harmless.
|

replied July 29th, 2007
Is This a Panic Attack
hi i was woundering if someone might help figure this out. when i go to bed at night i will fall asleep tummy down and head turn to the side and then i wake up yelling for my husband and trying to grab something cause i feel like i cant feel my body and after about 5 min or so then im ok. is this a panic attack or no? wolves
|

User Profile
replied July 29th, 2007
Community Volunteer
No, it's called sleep paralysis. I get this about 70% of the time if I sleep on my back, it's nothing to worry about.
|

replied June 23rd, 2009
Night time panic attacks.
I'm experiencing the close to the same thing. I suffer from claustrophobia and the panic attack feels like the same thing. I'll get up and usually go for a walk at 2:00 a.m. This is starting to affect my days. No sleep for about a week now. This comes on at bedtime and does not go away until early morning hours.
|

replied October 26th, 2010
I know about panic attacks i have had them on and off for years.Keep in mind blood sugar is the lowest late at night into around 4 am,low blood sugar can mimic a panic attack.Try drinking some milk and eating crackers..dont eat anything to sweet though it will only possible lower your sugar again.Lots of people are hypoglecemic and dont even know it,especially if your symptoms come between 1-3 hours after eating then you may be hypoglecemic.
|

replied November 11th, 2010
anxiety
Many people are curious about night sweats and are seen asking, can anxiety cause night sweats? Yes, anxiety can cause night sweats and this type of night sweats is commonly associated with a medical condition. People experiencing stress or anxiety night sweats go through this very unpleasant effect very frequently and do not really know what is causing it or how to get rid of it. Anxiety and night sweating are very closely related and it is caused mainly due to the high levels of stress, tension and worry that people tend to suffer from. Perspiring in the night is a method your body uses to release the tension out of the body. Consumption of certain anti-depressant medications can also lead to night sweating, which is a common side effect of these medications. Read more on night sweats in children.
|

replied November 15th, 2010
anxiety
hi i have recently since three weeks been experiencing simalar things to all the above its crazy i am ok in the day and then comes close to when im thinking to going to bed and bad thoughts come to my mind and i try and try to think something else but i jsut cant its a horrible feeling and then once i finally jump in bed and try to get comfy i get really paranoid saying oh i cant breath but i can i think the worse and that doesnt help i cant sleep and i believe that its anxiety or panic attacks i wish it would go away im only 17 year old girl and i dont need this im too young any answers to help ??
|

User Profile
replied December 13th, 2010
im only 13 years old but every night from around when it gets dark i start to get really paranoid and scared of almost everything, im absolutely fine during the day and its like at night everything just changes.i feel like i have to keep looking out the windows and that something is there but i dont know what it is.
i start acting weird and different but not like anything i could explain.It once got so bad that i was tossing and turning so much that i knocked something off my bed,and as soon as it hit the ground i curled up into a ball and just cried.I hate this so much and it happens almost evry night now. what am i supposed to do?
|

replied December 17th, 2010
I seem to have the same sort problems at bed time,I find if i am on my left side when i fall asleep i wake up quick as i seem to stop breathing,Im ok on my right side but wake all the time on and off,I find if i have the telly on or music i sleep but if its quiet i cant sleep.I hate bed time,oh to the lady who says she cant sleep could try changing bed around so you face the door or window helps and listen to soft music.
|

replied March 12th, 2011
I, too, suffer from extreme panic attacks at night. I recently lost my job, and have been being treated for anxiety/depression for five years now.

Immediately after losing my job, I dealt with strictly insomnia. No matter how hard I tried to get myself on a normal sleep routine, I would be up normally from 2am-6am, and would be so tired I would sleep until 11am. I began to force myself to get up at a decent hour, which helped with the insomnia.

Shortly after I got the insomnia under control, the night sweats started. I would wake up drenched, and my clothes would stink of sweat. I started to sleep in lighter pajamas, which didn't help either. The night sweats eventually went away, but then the panic attacks started. It's been about 3 weeks now that I have been dealing with it. I feel physical anxiety when it starts to get late because I know a panic attack will come. I saw my doctor, who recommended that I start to take my anxiety/depression medicine later in the day to see if it helps. I also tried to take melatonin to help me sleep, but it made me so tired that I immediately went into panic mode. I have a prescription for Adivan to ease the anxiety, but don't want to take it on a regular basis and become addicted, so I use deep breathing techniques that I've been shown.

Good luck! I know how frightening and irritating it can be. I really recommend that you see your doctor ASAP.
|

replied April 6th, 2011
when you think you gonna have 1 at a point in time like at night you setting your self up to have one if you think your gonna have 1 again its gonna happen cause you telling it to dont think about anxiety at all and see what happens because everytime night will start to come around i would wonder if m gonna have 1 and guess what i did then i decided to try not to think about it at all and it worked i went to sleep fine and didnt wake up in the middle of the night... i mean its worth a try what could it hurt?....
|

replied May 4th, 2011
Physical anxiety and restlessness, cant sleep
I don't have panic or anything on my mind but at night sometimes I feel so restless and anxious I feel like biting myself to ease it, which never helps. I would take one xanax and then another but all this does is may be drosy but still restless. What is going on? if anyone can help me. This has been happening at least 2 to 3 times a week and makes sleeping hard, often up most of the night. I am not worrying or anyting,it is a like physical anxiety and restlessness, feels weird like I want to scream and jump around. Please email me if you have a clue as to what is going on. I am a 39 year old male. thank you and bless you all.
|

replied May 16th, 2011
This has happened to me a couple times this week. I usually go to bed and unwind around 10 and I would start to try and relax, and something like the slightest noise startles me and wide awake I am, with my heart beating faster, then I try and deep breathe but nothing works. It sucks, I ended up popping a xanax and finally fell asleep around 1, it sucks because earlier in the week, same thing, I start to knot off and then one min later wide awake and feeling anxious, don't know why.
|

replied July 22nd, 2011
I am not sure wht my problem is,When I go to bed my heart beats real hard and I feel like it is going to jump out of me. I do have high blood pressure that I take meds for but I have been having uncontrolled speed up of the heart as soon as I lay down to go to sleep. I am not sure if it is anxiety or if I have a heart problem.
|

replied July 22nd, 2011
I am not sure wht my problem is,When I go to bed my heart beats real hard and I feel like it is going to jump out of me. I do have high blood pressure that I take meds for but I have been having uncontrolled speed up of the heart as soon as I lay down to go to sleep. I am not sure if it is anxiety or if I have a heart problem.
|

replied July 22nd, 2011
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...