Ok, my hubby and I are sittin' here watchin' the game and snackin' on some ice cream and we were discussing how fried ice cream is made. It is actually fried, right? Does anyone have a good recipe to make this? Now I really want some!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 15th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
oh man. at my friends' wedding.. they had fried ice cream & i just about died. it was the most delicious thing i have ever tasted in my entire life.
|

replied April 15th, 2007
Experienced User
Fried Ice CreamSUBMITTED BY: Jeri Zieman

"Vanilla ice cream with a crunchy coating. Serve with whipped cream, honey, and cherries."

Original recipe yield:
8 balls

PREP TIME 15 Min
COOK TIME 2 Min
READY IN 4 Hrs
US METRIC

SERVINGS About scaling and conversions

INGREDIENTS
1 quart vanilla ice cream
3 cups crushed cornflakes cereal
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 egg whites
2 quarts oil for frying
DIRECTIONS
Scoop ice cream into 8 - 1/2 cup sized balls. Place on baking sheet and freeze until firm, about 1 hour.
In a shallow dish, combine cornflakes and cinnamon. In another dish, beat egg whites until foamy. Roll ice cream balls in egg whites, then in cornflakes, covering ice cream completely. Repeat if necessary. Freeze again until firm, 3 hours.
In deep fryer or large, heavy saucepan, heat oil to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Using a basket or slotted spoon, fry ice cream balls 1 or 2 at a time, for 10 to 15 seconds, until golden. Drain quickly on paper towels and serve immediately.
Editor's Note

We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. The exact amount may vary depending on cook time and temperature, ingredient density, and the specific type of oil used.

READ REVIEWS (76)

REVIEW/RATE THIS RECIPE
SAVE TO RECIPE BOX
ADD TO SHOPPING LIST
ADD A PERSONAL NOTE
POST A RECIPE PHOTO
POST A FAVORITE FOODS LIST
CREATE A MENU

NUTRITION INFORMATION
Servings Per Recipe: 8

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 372

Total Fat: 29.3g
Cholesterol: 29mg
Sodium: 185mg
Total Carbs: 25g
Dietary Fiber: 0.5g
Protein: 4.3g
VIEW DETAILED NUTRITION

About: Nutrition Info

Powered by: ESHA Nutrient Database
|

replied April 15th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Mmmmm, thank you!
I just found this recipe.... It's not actually "fried" I think I'm going to try this tonight. I think I've actually got all the ingredients Shocked

½ cup vegetable oil
2 flour tortillas, 6 inch each
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tbs. sugar
¼ cup cornflake crumbs
2 large scoops vanilla ice cream
whipped cream in a can
2 maraschino cherries with stems
optional toppings: honey, chocolate syrup, strawberries

Fry each tortilla, one at a time in hot oil over medium/high heat until crispy. This should take about one minute on each side.

Combine the cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.

Sprinkle half of the cinnamon mixture over both sides of the fried tortillas, coating evenly. Not all of the sugar mixture will stick to the tortillas and that's okay.

Combine the other half of the cinnamon mixture with the corn flake crumbs in another small bowl. Pour the corn flake mixture into a wide shallow bowl or plate.

Place a large scoop of ice cream in the corn flake crumbs and with your hands roll the ice cream around until the entire surface is evenly coated with corn flake crumbs. You should not be able to see any ice cream.

Place the ice cream scoop on the center of the cinnamon/sugar coated tortilla.

Spray whipped cream around the base of the ice cream. Spray an additional pile of ice cream on top of the ice cream. Put a cherry in the top pile of whipped cream.
|

User Profile
replied April 15th, 2007
Experienced User
Fried Ice cream is quite popular here in Texas...I have had many versions but my favorite is made with graham cracker crumbs. You have to get the ball of ice cream really really frozen so when you go to fry it, it won't melt. All you do is roll the frozen ice cream ball around in the graham cracker crumbs until fully covered and then fry it for a few seconds. I like eating them on a sopapilla with whipped cream and honey.....YUMM-O!!!!
|

User Profile
replied April 16th, 2007
Experienced User
Ever heard of Deep fried mars bars ? ive never personally tried one but i heard they are very yummy ...they sell them at one place where i live and then at Taste of .saskatchewan ...its a mars bar put in some kind of batter and deepfried and served on a stick ...heartattack waitin to happen Shocked
|

replied April 16th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Bratz72 wrote:
Ever heard of Deep fried mars bars ? ive never personally tried one but i heard they are very yummy ...they sell them at one place where i live and then at Taste of .saskatchewan ...its a mars bar put in some kind of batter and deepfried and served on a stick ...heartattack waitin to happen Shocked

are mars bars the same as "snickers"? if so, then yea, I've had one!!!!!!!

It;s delishhh!!

it's made by mars&mars, so I'm guessin it's the same!
|

replied April 16th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Deep fried oreos are yummy too.
|

User Profile
replied April 16th, 2007
Supporter
babymajic0506 wrote:
Bratz72 wrote:

It;s delishhh!!

Mars isn't quite the same. Snickers has peanuts in and a mars bar just has the foamy stuff (tottaly forgotten what it's called!) with a layer or carmel and then smothered in choc
|

replied April 16th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Dannzibelle wrote:
babymajic0506 wrote:
Bratz72 wrote:

It;s delishhh!!

Mars isn't quite the same. Snickers has peanuts in and a mars bar just has the foamy stuff (tottaly forgotten what it's called!) with a layer or carmel and then smothered in choc

your mars bar is our milky way.
|

User Profile
replied April 16th, 2007
Supporter
IHeartMyBostonTerrier wrote:
Dannzibelle wrote:
babymajic0506 wrote:
Bratz72 wrote:

It;s delishhh!!

Oh god this is confusing! So your milky way isn't just the foamy stuff covered in choc then? It could have carmel in it thinking about it, it's been ages since i've had one
|

replied April 16th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
yupp! Our milky way has nuget(prounounced nooget)(the foamy chocolate-esque stuff) and caramel.

I've never heard of deep fried oreos! interesting!

Sarah
|

User Profile
replied April 16th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
You guys are making me hungry Surprised
|

replied April 16th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Dannzibelle wrote:
IHeartMyBostonTerrier wrote:
Dannzibelle wrote:
babymajic0506 wrote:
Bratz72 wrote:

It;s delishhh!!

Oh god this is confusing! So your milky way isn't just the foamy stuff covered in choc then? It could have carmel in it thinking about it, it's been ages since i've had one

just nougat covered in chocolate is a three muskateers.

isn't it strange how we don't have the same candy? our smarties are a completely different candy than your smarties.

now who wants to send me some wine gums? those are my absolute favorite candy of all time (excluding the currant ones).
|

User Profile
replied April 16th, 2007
Supporter
I have never heard of fried ice cream Shocked
|

replied April 16th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
michelle1981 wrote:
I have never heard of fried ice cream Shocked

Good Lord woman!!! Where are you from? I take pitty on you. However I didn't know about it until about 3 or 4 years ago ( Laughing So who am I to talk, right?) and my hubby took me to a mexican restaurant for my birthday and the staff came out and sang to me and brought me a fried ice cream. It was heaven. (and embarassing!)
|

User Profile
replied April 16th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Ooh, hey .mandi! When I lived in .texas we ate at a mexican restaurant, and for dessert they gave us some kind of pastry thing that you eat with honey. Does that sound familiar to you at all? It was so good!
|

replied April 16th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
JasmineGreen4179 wrote:
I like eating them on a sopapilla with whipped cream and honey.....YUMM-O!!!!

Laura, it's a sopapilla(soap a piya)!!! and she's right!! Yumm-O!!!

Sarah
|

User Profile
replied April 16th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Shocked neat! Mr. Green thanks .sarah!

can you make them at home? I'm going to look up recipes now!
|

replied April 16th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
yea you can!! I'm not sure what bread you'd use, but cinnamon&sugar are a *must*!!!!

Send me sooooome! lol!

Sarah
|
Tags: cream, Pregnancy
Quick Reply
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...