Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

Help My Boyfriend Is Hooked On Herion And Ive Just Found Out

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad please give me advice, my partner of 2 year in whom i live with has just admitted to me hes smoking herion, my heart broke in 2, i just cant believe it. this morning he asked for the car keys to go and get some to ween himself off it, i said no, he promised it would be his last time. im a strong minded person and stood my ground told him it will be hard but he will just need to fight it. he lasted 4 hours said he was going out for a fag and disappeared to come home later on it. his mood swings are bad and i want to be strong for him but its hard. i just dont know what to do, please help me
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 19th, 2007
Supporter
Junk
First question that must be answered is, does he want help? If so self detox is not a good idea. This should in my opinion be done in a professional setting. Just one small dose to ween himself off is nonsense. You were right to take a tough stand. I know nothing about treatment centers in the UK. Just don't let him drag you down with him. If treatment is available to him he should grab on and hold on for dear life. Your love for one another in the face of addiction is irrelevant. If he is an addict very far advanced heroin is his number one love and you can't compeat.
|

replied June 14th, 2007
Re: Junk
redjohn wrote:
First question that must be answered is, does he want help? If so self detox is not a good idea. This should in my opinion be done in a professional setting. Just one small dose to ween himself off is nonsense. You were right to take a tough stand. I know nothing about treatment centers in the UK. Just don't let him drag you down with him. If treatment is available to him he should grab on and hold on for dear life. Your love for one another in the face of addiction is irrelevant. If he is an addict very far advanced heroin is his number one love and you can't compeat.

Here here, well stated!
You should get as far away from him as possible and never look back. Believe me, I was involved for almost 3 years with a woman who "graduated" from oxycontin to heroin use and all trying to help her did was drive me into bankruptcy and devastate me emotionally. I am still recovering from the havoc of a sick codependent mess being involved with a junkie wreacked on me.
Believe me, turning your back on him MAY or MAY NOT help him reach his bottom and make him decide to turn around, BUT, it WILL help you to recover quicker from the damage already done by remaining in any way connected to the man. Best of luck to you dear.
|

User Profile
replied June 14th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I am sorry, but I don't think you can help him unless he is willing to get help himself. And he will need professional help, at that. good luck.
|

replied June 14th, 2007
Nic.....this is what we do.....help folks that are addicted to opiates (heroin, pain meds, etc.). We have a "caregiver/loved one's" forum that will help you and there's much info, people to interact with and some much needed support for you and/or your partner. We actually have a rep in the UK that might be able to direct you as well.

I wish you all he luck....and remember....people DO recover from opiate addiction. We are all NOT dirty "Junkies". Your partner is sick....and at this point needs some help!......Carol

and support forums.....

http://www.MethadoneSupport.org/forum.html
|

replied June 15th, 2007
Supporter
Help
Nobody can be helped until they're ready. I for one don't believe in the Methodone maintenance program. IMO Methodone is a worse drug than Heroin. To swap one for the other is absurd. Detox, treatment and then a strong NA/AA program is the answer. No dope at all, that's the ticket.
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2007
Re: Help
redjohn wrote:
Nobody can be helped until they're ready. I for one don't believe in the Methodone maintenance program. IMO Methodone is a worse drug than Heroin. To swap one for the other is absurd. Detox, treatment and then a strong NA/AA program is the answer. No dope at all, that's the ticket.

I completely disagree. Methadone helped save my life as well as my child's. If it wasn't for finding the website *** and the people in it, I would probably still be spending all of my time and money looking for dope and be at great risk of getting my kids taken away, my family broken up and a whole lot of other horrible things. And before you ask, I have tried many other routes before trying Methadone, and none have worked at all. Don't get me wrong, everyone has their own opinion and Methadone may not be for everyone. But please people, do your research before making a decision one way or another. And I'm not talking about asking people on this website. I'm talking about experts on Methadone. A lot of people are trying to give Methadone a bad name. I'm just trying to let you all know that Methadone saves many MANY lives every day. Yours could be one of them...

-r
|
Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....