User Profile
grrrrrrrr...Trey got pink eye from some kid at daycare. It's the first time. I'm pissed off cause the damn parents brought their kid in without telling the staff and now 3 other kids have it.

Mikey's taking him to the clinic because I couldn't miss work.

The only think I hate about this daycare is the area. Because it's in a "poorer" area a lot of the parents don't take care of their kids properly and still bring them in when they have these probs. We get notes sent home at least once every 2 weeks. someone brought their kid in with Scarlet fever, lice, pinkeye and measels!!! what kind of parents bring their kid to daycare with those probs. And try to hide it from the staff. duh.. the staff is trained. They'll see it. I would totally switch daycares if the waiting lists weren't 2-3 yrs. Confused

I washed everything last night and this morning. Just waiting for mikey to call me to let me know how he is.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 16th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
My child just got pink eye, too. He hasn't even been in daycare and I have no idea where he got it from. He couldn't open his eyes up the other day. This pink eye is just gross. My mom now has pink eye and we are going to the opthamologist in a 1/2 hour.

With that said, I would be so mad if the daycare was that irresponsible. Nathan was in a daycare where a few kids were hacking up storms. Nathan easily gets bronchitis due to RSV when he was 6 months. When kids obviously are sick, there is just no excuse to keep them at daycare infecting other kids. The lice thing would tick me off as well. Do you think some people even understand how sick their children are or do you think they send their children because they have no other option as they need the money? I think both cases are true. In "richer" areas, parents usually have more options and also are generally more educated about illnesses.

Have you placed your name on waiting lists?? Although the wait is long, I would still place my name on one. A lot of times, you can get in sooner. Just a thought.
|

User Profile
replied April 16th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
edited due to double post
|

User Profile
replied April 16th, 2007
Supporter
Hi
Hi All, I believe you get "pink eye" from several sources. If a child has a bacterial infection such as, runny nose etc, and puts his fingers in his nose then rubs his eyes, he's bound to catch this. Our daughter had pink eye and this was told to us by her pediatrician, as she was never around other children at this young age. Found this hope it helps!

What is "pink eye"?
What infections cause pink eye, what are infectious pink eye symptoms, and how are they treated?
What noninfectious conditions cause pink eye, what are noninfectious pink eye symptoms, and how are they treated?
How can I prevent the spread of pink eye?
Pink Eye At A Glance
Related pink eye articles:
Pink eye - on WebMD

Facts About "Pink Eye"
Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Medical Editor: Barbara K. Hecht, PhD

Conjunctivitis, known as "pink eye," is an inflammation of the thin, transparent membrane covering the inner eyelid and the white part of the eye known as the conjunctiva. Symptoms of this condition can include:

redness of the eyes,
eye pain,
blurred vision,
sensitivity to light,
burning or itching of the eye,
a scratchy feeling in the eye and,
a discharge that may be watery or may contain pus.
Conjunctivitis may begin in one eye but often spreads to involve both eyes.

The term pink eye is most commonly used to refer to the infectious (viral or bacterial) type of conjunctivitis, but conjunctivitis may also result from allergic reactions or from chemical irritants such as air pollution, smoke, or noxious fumes. Rarely, underlying chronic medical conditions including systemic lupus erythematosus or rheumatoid arthritis can cause a persistent conjunctivitis. The infectious form of conjunctivitis is very common in children and is highly contagious.

Children and adults who develop infectious pink eye should see a doctor to determine whether antibiotic treatment is necessary. Most cases of infectious pink eye are caused by viruses and will not respond to antibiotic treatment. In these instances, the discharge from the eye is clear and watery and symptoms of a cold may be present. Viral pink eye infections usually last from about seven to 10 days.

Read about the signs and symptoms of pinkeye »

Top Searched Pinkeye (Conjunctivitis) Terms:
symptoms, contagious, treatment, causes, allergies

What is "pink eye"?

Pink eye or conjunctivitis refers to a redness or irritation of the membranes on the inner part of the eyelids and the membranes (conjuctiva) covering the whites of the eyes. These membranes react to a wide range of bacteria, viruses, allergy-provoking agents, irritants, and toxic agents, as well as to underlying diseases within the body. Viral and bacterial forms of conjunctivitis are common in childhood but can occur in people of any age. Overall however, there are many causes of pink eye. These can be classified as either infectious or noninfectious.

What infections cause pink eye and how are they treated?

Viral Pink Eye

The leading cause of a red eye is virus infection. Viral pink eye symptoms and signs are usually associated with more of a watery discharge, not green or yellow in color, and is frequently associated with viral "cold-like" symptoms. The eyelids may be swollen. Sometimes looking at bright lights is painful. While viral pink eye may not require an antibiotic, those affected should see a doctor, as occasionally this form of pink eye can be associated with infection of the cornea, (the clear portion of the front of the eyeball). This infection must be correctly detected and treated. Viral pink eye is highly contagious. Viral pink eye usually resolves in seven to ten days after symptoms appear.

Bacterial Pink Eye

The bacteria that most commonly cause infectious pink eye are staphylococci, pneumococci, and streptococci. Bacterial pink eye symptoms include:

eye pain,
swelling,
redness, and
a moderate to large amount of discharge, usually yellow or greenish in color.
The discharge commonly accumulates after sleeping. Affected children may awaken most unhappy that their "eyes are stuck shut," requiring a warm wash cloth applied to the eyes to remove the discharge and lots of reassurance that their "eyes still work!" This bacterial pink eye responds to repeated warm wash cloths applied to the eyes (try applying these to your child's eye one eye at a time during a favorite video!) and antibiotic eye drops or ointment prescribed by your doctor.

Be careful not to use medication prescribed for someone else, or from an old infection, as these may be inappropriate for your current infection or may have been contaminated from other infections by accidentally touching the medicine bottle to infected areas. A safe, effective, and "less-scary-for-your- child" method of putting drops into the eyes involves asking your child to lie down flat, suggesting she merely "close your eyes" and placing the recommended number of drops in the inner corner of the eye, next to the bridge of the nose, and letting them make a little "lake" there. When your child relaxes and opens the eyes, the medicine will flow gently into the infected mucous membranes without the need to "force open" the eyes.

When you feel that you or your child might have bacterial pink eye, it is very important to see your doctor immediately for several reasons. First, if the cause is a bacterial infection, an antibiotic will be needed to help the infection-fighting immune system to kill this infection. Secondly, if you are experiencing other symptoms such as a runny nose, cough, earache, etc., there is a good chance that these symptoms are caused by the same bacteria and an oral antibiotic may very well be needed to reach these germs along with the antibiotic drops or ointment for the eyes. Finally, your doctor will want to exclude the possibility that the infection has spread to areas where the symptoms may not yet be recognizable.

Chlamydia Pink Eye

Pink eye due to infection with Chlamydia is an uncommon form of bacterial pink eye in the U.S., but is very common in Africa and the Middle Eastern countries. It can cause pink eye in adults and neonates. It is a cause of pink eye in adolescents and adults that can be sexually transmitted. Chlamydia pink eye is typically treated with tetracycline (except in children less than eight years old, because of possible teeth discoloration) or erythromycin.
|
Tags: fever, Eye Care
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....