Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Depression, Anxiety, And Vomiting (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
Hello. I was wondering if anyone out there has been experiencing anything similar to what I have been going through. I have had problems with depression and anxiety since I was 14. In the past four years of my life I have been battling episodes of choking, retching, and vomiting. I have since withdrew from college (I hope to go back soon). The stress of school seemed to be escalating the vomiting problem. I go through episodes of vomiting that are triggered by stressful situations such as labs, group meetings, speeches, projects, social situations, or large amounts of intellectual work. The more I force myself to perform in school the worse it gets. If I push myself very hard while exercising (such as lifting weights or running) I may also vomit.
During an episode I feel a tensing up on the right side of my brain. I get a lump in my throat and I find it difficult ot breathe. My abdomen, arms, and legs begin to tense up and I begin to swallow saliva. I must sit still and take deep breaths. At this point any type of stimulation (movement, being spoken to, or other activity around me) can trigger the retching and vomiting. I usually throw up a few mouthfuls and go back to feeling very tense and anxious. Sometimes I clear out my entire stomach. If there isn't anything in my stomach I dry heave for a while. Before and after the episodes I am usually in a state of anxiety.
Is there anyone out there that has experienced this? I want to conquer it so I can get back to school and go on with life. I have taken anti-depressants and they have helped with depression, but the vomiting problem remained. It has subsided since I have withdrew from school. I need a source of decent income though and think school is the way to go for that. Any responses are very very very much appreciated!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper wooden_stairs
|

replied April 16th, 2007
could it be that vomiting is your form of a panic attack? Because all pre-signs are the same as mine with the exception of vomiting, in place of vomiting I go into a panic attack.

- good luck.
|

replied April 16th, 2007
Thanks for the reply NEXUS. I think you are right. I have always addressed it that way when talking with doctors. I just continued to question it because none of the medications have helped to stop it. I recently had some blood work done so maybe something will show up there. Otherwise I'll just keep hoping that I find the right med.
|

replied April 18th, 2007
hi, sorry to hear about your problem, but u are not alone in all this, i suffer from the same thing, its been going on for 5 years, ever since i finished hightschool, im 20 now, the problem doesnt seem to be getting worse rapidly, but i am getting more nervous about more and more things. all this is making me more frustrated at small things and loose it sometimes. i just wanna vomit everytime something is gonna happen thats not ordinary. any advice anyone?
|

replied April 19th, 2007
I feel for you! What I have been going through has not been easy. Are you in college? I have found it difficult to deal with school and panic attacks/vomiting because the stress of school makes it so much worse. In the past I have relied so heavily on medication, but I am going to see a therapist regularly to see if that will help matters. I know I wasn't born like this, and the anxiety/panic had to come from somewhere. I'll let you know if I find anything that helps.
|

replied April 19th, 2007
its good being able to share it with someone who truely understands, i have been talking to family about it, but they dont really know what its like so cant do much sympathy but tell me to get brave it and not be worried about things that make it happen. but sadly it isnt as simple as that is it? i will also let u know if something i find that works, i havent tried any medications, and dont intend to unless it gets out of control. i think one of the best ways is to stop doing the things that would make it happen, e.g if its a presentation at work, look for a job where there isnt any presentations involved. i know that isnt really a cure, but it will stop it destroying our lives for the time being.
|

replied April 22nd, 2007
sometime its good to talk to strangers about your problems. I know it sometime hard to talk to friends and family about some of the things you are going thru.

But it is always suggested that you should vent out this issues with someone so that they can give you feedback and kind of reassure you that its normal or that you will be ok.

Chemical imbalances or not eating right could be the cause of many anxiety problems in today’s world. But if you really become scared of your situation, it may be time to speak to a PRO.

Most cases they will give you some type of drug, sometime they will try to pick you brain to find the source; such in you history. The subconscious mind is always at work running thoughts that you might not be aware of.

I wish you the best in your problem and hope that someday the sky’s will clear and you will find yourself back in happiness with out the stress or anxiety.

Cheers,

I am not a MD, nor do I have a PHD but I have talked to many people in my life and I have learned that talking is the best to resolve.
|

replied May 17th, 2007
I don't know if you are keeping an eye on this forum zz86is, but I have been taking baby steps to solving my panic attack problem. I have not vomited since the middle of March. I have been talking to a friend of mine to try to get some of my past off of my mind and am going to seek professional counseling as soon as possible. I know that I am the only one that can solve the problem, although the counselor will help me determine exactly what the problem is. I faced my fear of going back to school. I am currently enrolled in a Maymester course. Every time I leave the classroom I feel like I have gained more strength. I hope you have are getting help and beginning to solve your problem. I will continue to update this post.

God bless,
Archimedes
|

replied June 8th, 2009
Sharing about anxiety experience
I feel for you folks as I went through the extreme anxiety and vomiting in elementary school and high school. I am 53 now and there was absolutely no help for me. I just thought I was nuts because anxiety wasn't known about in my childhood.
Anyhow I got passed that stage as I adjusted to young adulthood. I still struggle with anxiety some but I have accepted it and have been through much counseling and an anxiety workshop, that last for a long stretch,that taught me how to cope better. I learned not to feed off my anxiety and blow it out of proportion. Instead I tell myself that it will pass, it is only temporary and realize whatever I am going through is just a small grain of sand on a beach on our single planet in this huge universe and not important.

I personally continute to try to find an underlying medical problem for the anxiety. I am checking out hypoparathyroidism right now.

Matty
|

replied November 12th, 2009
My girlfriend gets this, and I have spent ages trying to find out what it is. Whenever she gets extremely upset or depressed about something, she usually vomits - but never when I'm around (she says she doesn't want to vomit in front of me, despite me telling her that it is perfectly okay, and because of this she forces it back down - which I tell her isn't good for her).

She does have a problem with food, and recently has been feeling sick after every meal that she eats (the vomiting due to depression has been there ever since I met her - 2 years ago). She doesn't eat an awful lot, and consistently worries about her weight when she is not overweight at all (if anything, nearly in the underweight category of the BMI scale).

I've read out about 'psychogenic vomiting', which seems one of the closest medical explanations I have been able to find, and - because the distress is mostly caused by a loss or separation of a loved one, mild 'separation anxiety disorder' could be a factor in it.

Hope this will help other people and hopefully eventually help towards defining and lessening the depression/anxiety-linked vomiting in my girlfriend's case.
|

replied January 19th, 2010
vomiting
I am 32 yrs married and i have been suffering from depression.whenever i get depressed i start vomiting and there is kind of stiffness and uneasiness in my stomach.I still havent been able to cure this problem
|

replied January 19th, 2010
my experience with anxiety
I am 20 and recently withdrew from college on nov 1st.

Around oct 15 I was sitting in class when I got this overwhelming feeling of pressure in my chest, my heart started to race, I started to cold sweat, and then i felt increasingly sick to my stomach. At the time I had no idea what was happening. I have had a phobia of vomiting since I was young, thus making these attacks more excruciating cause somehow manage to hold the sickness back. It took a couple weeks of having these spouts more frequently and I had boxed my self into a corner. After seeing a doctor and being put on anti anxiety pills the problem only got worse. I stayed in my room and only went out to eat, but slowly that stopped. I started sleeping 16 hours a day. I lost 20 lbs. I few day's later after a hospital visit i returned home.
I've been seeing a psychologist and have been battling hard to figure out how to prevent these "anxiety attacks". I am a psychology major and had been studying anxiety at the same time i fell sick. Since my rough experience with the pills I've been trying to develop different tactics on controlling the anxiety without medicine. It's working and my psychologist thinks i'll be back to full health in a month. I feel the same.
My method has consisted eating well and doing simple work outs to bring my body back to health then I focused on mental control of my symptoms. At first I pushed myself to get out everyday and into very slight stressful situations where I practice control. I mentally talked to myself, reassuring myself of safe surroundings and take note of the different levels of stress by this acidic feeling i'd get in my stomach. I set goals for the different scenarios I put myself in, and was slowly able to branch out from there. (there's more to it but i have to run)
i'm no doctor so if this method sounds silly or you have already tried it and it failed im sorry, and I hope you do find a cure. I just needed to share this.
|
Users who thank iguanaman97 for this post: leeka 

replied June 23rd, 2010
hi guys

been reading everyones stories and it relaxs me that there are people out there that want to talk about it and i am not just going nuts. i get sick a lot from worrying about stuff and sometimes if for example 2 months ago i had a beer and got sick,well now when i have a beer i worry about the last time and its just a negative cycle. but its not the beer itself its the over thinking and stress that brings it on. exercise helps me out a bit. its worse the older i get. i have lots of friends, beautiful girlfriend but this is pushing them away. i cant relax during social events,cant stay up 2 late,tiredness is the worst and prob causes these sickness attacks.

getting fresh air, eating properly ,no smoking, beer etc are good steps to help. its so true about been healthy on the inside. at the end of the day its your brain has a defense tactic to tell you when you feel like you are in trouble and can reasonably work it out, but with anxiety, panic and so on, the fear skips the defense reasonable part of the brain and goes straight to the panic. so its trying to learn to get the defense up and running again.

i hope people can write here and tell us their different stories as its important to talk about these things, and hopefully people can get some comfort knowing they are not on their own
|

replied August 29th, 2010
CVS-Cyclical Vomitng Syndrome
All of this responses sound like classic CVS (Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome). Patients with this disorder are usually clinically depressed and many have an anxiety disorder too. Old school anti-depression, migraine and even allergy medicines have used to control these episodes. There is no cure for this but it can be controlled and hopefully go away. Search the web for CVS and you can get help. Unfortunately there is no test for CVS and you need to have someone who knows about this disorder, not many do. It's often been called the migraine of the stomach. Good luck to you all.
|

replied October 17th, 2010
I am going thru the same thing. I can't help the way I feel. I cycle thoughts over and over. I am happily married and blessed with a beautiful 6 year old. I work full time and been at my current job for a year and a half. I started to cycle negative thoughts about everything. From thinking they are trying get me fired at my job to getting anxiety and vomiting over my daughter getting a little rash. This has taken over my life and is destroying how I live life. I am losing my hair, my skin is terrible and my over health has suffered. My family is my #1support system but it doesn't seem enough. I get thus anxiety and it just makes me sick. I can't help the way I feel. My self worth and confidence has declined and they was never me. I don't go out anymore bc it makes me sick, I don't do anything social bc it makes me sick. Inwas never like this. I don't know what to do. What I do know is that I need help, just don't k ow where to start. I want to regain control of my life again. It hard to hide this from my daughter and co workers. I am not the only one and I am thankful for forums like this where we can share and help eachother.
|

replied June 19th, 2011
this is a horrible problem , i used to vomit before any exam and really loss much Sad
can anyone find a solution, please ?
|

User Profile
replied May 22nd, 2012
I have this exact problem. I'm a sophomore in High school. My depression and anxiety started up last November when a family member of mine was suicidal. Because of that happening I wasn't focusing on school so my grades had gone down so I was getting stressed out because of that. I went to the doctor cause i kept throwing up every morning and I didn't know why. The doctor said i had acid reflux. I got medicine for it, and it hasn't helped at all. I haven't been stressed out in a couple of months, this month i am again. I've missed at least 3 days of school each week because of my vomiting. I want to know if I get depression and anti anxiety pills, if they will help me at all.
|

replied August 7th, 2013
Wow! It makes me feel so good to know I'm not alone. My vomiting started near the end of grade 10. I ended up not finishing school because of it. The worst went on for about 3 years until it finally settled down, it only happens when I get really stressed now, like starting a new course.
I was hospitalised twice when I got to the point where I couldn't keep water down, and for over two years it was constant, at least once a day. Most days I would eat 3-4 meals and still end up with my stomach completely empty. I had to have a tooth reconstructed because of the stomach acid.
I also had to put up with doctors accusing me of being bulimic for years! It was terrible, they wouldn't believe that I had no control over it. My mother always took my side though, she watched me, I never used to gag or anything, it was almost like my stomach just went nope! And pushed everything back up.

I know it's a psychological problem and I've tried getting help but nothing's ever really worked fully. It's finally to the point where I can deal with it now though.
|

replied September 19th, 2014
That's exactly what happens to me....
Except I get REALLY sad and end up having a complete emotional breakdown before vomiting even though I try to distract myself when I start getting like that. I've tried doing different things to help myself, like doing various things that I find relaxing, drinking herbal teas and reducing what I eat into several smaller meals a day and talking about it with people close to me. I even meditate and it helps a lot, but I keep feeling worse and end up throwing up more often. I see this is an older post, does anyone know anything that might help?
|

replied September 19th, 2014
That's exactly what happens to me....
Except I get REALLY sad and end up having a complete emotional breakdown before vomiting even though I try to distract myself when I start getting like that. I've tried doing different things to help myself, like doing various things that I find relaxing, drinking herbal teas and reducing what I eat into several smaller meals a day and talking about it with people close to me. I even meditate and it helps a lot, but I keep feeling worse and end up throwing up more often. I see this is an older post, does anyone know anything that might help?
|