Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Birth Control And Migraines

User Profile
Hi everyone- I am trying to find a new method of birth control and don't know what to do. I was on the nuvaring as my first method, and I had no side effects until I had been taking it for about a year and I started getting a stinging feeling whenever I had sex. Then I went to see a new gyn. because I had moved and she said I couldn't use a b/c method that contained estrogen because it increased the risk of stroke too much (because of my history of migraines with visual symptoms, tunnel vision, etc.) So I got the mirena IUD. I can see why some people love it, I haven't gotten my period at all, but it is 9 months later and I am still getting cramps about weekly and I have gained about 20 lbs. I also think it is making me very moody/depressed and irritable. I want to switch to something else, but are there other progesterone-only methods that don't cause weight gain? The doctors said it wouldn't but obviously it did. Or what non-hormonal methods does anyone suggest?

Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 17th, 2007
Experienced User
There is a needle you can have (deprovera) and this is a progesterone-only conroceptive (i believe). Definately speak with your doctor or go to a family planning clinic and they should be able to give you all the information you need.

I was on deprovera for about 12 months. Was great as you didnt need to remember to take a pill and so on but i did have a few side affects from it such as depression and weight gain. Side effects are different for everyone however. Just a matter of doing your research.

Good Luck

Natalie
|

User Profile
replied April 17th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Thanks for the input. I guess I'll just have to start trying things.

I just don't want to gain more weight!!!!

Birth control sucks.
|

replied April 17th, 2007
Hello
I have had about the same problem, mood swings and migraines from birth control, ever since i had my tubes fixed i have had a problem with bleeding for months on end i have gone to the doctor about it several times because it gets so bad that i cant even get up and keep energy.
They had me on double hormones that didn't even help..they put me on a water pill split with a hormone because all the bleeding had started to make my feet swell horribly.
So i called my mom and found out that all this was genetic. 6 out 7 women who have gone threw this after the age of 26 had to have their uterus taken out by the time they were 33.
I told my doctor this and They said they cannot do anything about it unless I'm hemorrhaging. They said that if they put me on the table and do a hysterectomy that if i die they don't want to be blamed (literally)...i can understand there worries, but every time i have a period now i bleed for 2 weeks to a month.
what do you think i should do?????
|

User Profile
replied April 17th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
That sounds really awful.

Personally, I'd get the hysterectomy- if you are sure you don't want to have kids (or can't) I don't see why it is necessary to be going through all that. Of course, there are a lot of implications from the surgery and it might be considered elective (so maybe it wouldn't be covered by insurance). Also risky. However, I don't think many people die on the table when they're getting a hysterectomy! But it's always a possibility. You are in a rough position.
|

User Profile
replied April 20th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Just an update- I spoke to my doc about it and I got the IUD out. I am now on Loestrin. She said the migraines would only be a problem if I started getting them more often. Kind've like a 'we'll have to monitor your condition' kind of thing. I am so glad to have gotten rid of the IUD, it came out like a breeze. The doc thinks maybe it wasn't in all the way, but we'll never know now, will we? The only thing that still hurts is that I paid so much for the IUD.

On a side note, she is checking my thyroid levels because I have gained 20 lbs in the last 7 months. I thought it was just the birth control but she wasn't entirely convinced, and thyroid problems run in my family. Don't blame everything on birth control!!
|
Must Read
Intense pain, sensitivity to light and nausea. All signs of a migraine. But what is a migraine headache? And what can trigger it? Migraine basics here....
Migraine symptoms are easy to recognize. But what signs precede a migraine? And which symptoms are present during different types of migraines? Read more here....
What types of doctors diagnose migraines? And what tests do they use? Learn how to understand migraine symptoms and put them in perspective here....