Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

How Was Depression Treated Before Meds Were Invented?

Anyone know Question

I've been wondering that for quite some time now...

(thought I'd post this question here cause it's not a medical concern but just a general question)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 10th, 2007
Answer
hi from wat ive studied people was thrown in an asylum ,
|

User Profile
replied April 10th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I don't think it was treated at all. It is technically classified as a mental disease. It was not something that people talked about openly until the last few decades. As the previous poster commented, I agree that the severely depressed and manic deppresives were probably taken to a hospital so that it did not look bad on that family. Not that this is the only way things were handled. I also believe that the suicide rate was much higher in those times.
|

replied April 10th, 2007
Depression Back Then
I believe one of the first men to characterise a low mood which continuous throughout a decent margin is Aristotle. He describes it as "melancholy". He believed this was induced by an increase of black bile in the body. His philosophical thinkings concluded that the body was made of four humours and any inbalance of such would result in a dysfuntion.

However so, one of him famous quotes "Melancholy men are of all other the most witty".

How to cure. "Healthy mind, healthy body"

"Νους υγιής εν σώματι υγιεί".

Make sense...

I prefer the term melancholy to be honest .
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....