Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gout Forum

Cure For Gout Without Prescribed Drugs!

1. The goal of diet for those with gout is to reduce the production of uric acid to normal levels. Cherries, and all rich colored berries, such as blueberries, are recommended. Consume half a pound of fresh or unsweetened frozen cherries per day for a period of three to six weeks as a healing protocol.

2. Organic cherry juice is especially good for gout, as are many of the new "magic juices" such as Goji, Acai and Noni juice, puree or powder. Pomegranate fruit extracts have been shown to be effective as well.

3. Eliminate alcohol consumption, which both increases uric acid production and reduces uric acid excretion in the kidneys. Gout sufferers should also maintain a low-purine diet, which completely omits organ meats, shellfish, yeast (brewer's and baker's), herring, sardines, mackerel, and anchovies.

4. Intake of dried legumes, spinach, asparagus, fish, poultry, and mushrooms, should also be curtailed. Refined carbohydrates and saturated fats are best kept to a minimum.

5. Drink plenty of pure water, because it keeps urine diluted and promotes the excretion of uric acid.

6. Test for food and environmental allergies and avoid all foods and substances to which you are allergic.

7. Cleansing and Detoxification, including colon and bowel cleansing therapies, fasting, kidney and gallbladder flushes, physical medicine, and homeopathic remedies.

8. In clinical trials with gout patients, devil's claw was found to relieve joint pain, as well as reduce blood cholesterol and uric acid levels. For gout sufferers, professionals can recommend: 1-2 g of dried powdered devil's claw root three times a day; 4-5 ml of (1:5) tincture three times a day; or 400 mg of dry solid extract (3:1) three times a day.

9. The following nutritional supplements are recommended: eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA; 1.8 g daily), vitamin E (400-800 IU daily), folic acid (under a doctor's supervision, 10-40 mg daily), and quercetin with bromelain (125-250 mg three times a day between meals).
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 31st, 2007
Experienced User
During the fifteen year period when I had attacks of gout, I tried a variety of herbal preparations, including cherry extract and devil's claw. As was true of everything that I tried to alleviate my gout, they were effective at first, but their effectiveness wore off over time. For the last four years, I have been completely gout-free as the unexpected result of discovering and overcoming my sleep apnea. I have described my experience at my website <www.freewebs.com/goutcure> . A similar experience is described at <gout-aware.com> .

Medical literature from twenty years ago describes the physiological reason why sleep apnea causes gout. The reduction in oxygen in the blood that results from the repeated periods when breathing ceases during sleep has two important effects. Effect #1 is that the reduction of oxygen to the cells causes them to undergo a process of disintegration (catabolism), which culminates irreversibly in their overproduction of uric acid. Effect #2 is that the acidity of the blood increases as a result of the increased ratio of carbon dioxide to oxygen, making more likely the precipitation of uric acid from the blood in the form of monosodium urate crystals. When these crystals lodge in a joint, they cause the pain and inflammation of gout.

The crucial thing that I learned from my experience is that gout is an immediate warning of sleep apnea, which can have so many serious consequences over the long term, many of them life threatening. Anyone with gout should be checked for sleep apnea, and it should be overcome if it is diagnosed. If you need more information, you can find it in a new book titled "The Perils of Sleep Apnea - An Undiagnosed Epidemic" . It's available at amazon.com - search for apnea,epidemic.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....