User Profile
I was wanting to know about the hydralazine and clonidine for my heart. The doctor first put me on bidil which I couldn't take due to side effect of massive headaches. Are these drugs used to treat blood pressure or heart failure? The doc. told me my heart was at the point it needed a little help now. My first echo showed only mild aortic regurgatation, the most recent one showed moderate regurgatation in aortic valve but now all the remaining valves also showed mild regurgation. I stayed tired all the time before being put on these drugs and now am wondering if the side effects of these drugs are making me even more tired? It's hard for me to function at this point. Also, at my age just how worried should I be about my heart? As you can see from the info. I provided I have other health issues also. Could the ischemic colitis and other digestive problems in any way be related to my heart condition?<br>
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 16th, 2007
Heart Disease & Heart Attack Answer A2559
Hydralazine and clonidine are medications used for treating high blood pressure. These medicines cause vasodilatation which decreases blood pressure. Treating high blood pressure indirectly helps treat chronic heart failure. High blood pressure can cause heart failure over time or can worsen the degree of the heart failure, especially when triggered by other causes such as valvular regurgitation. Treating high blood pressure is, in fact, the first step of treating chronic heart failure.
Tiredness and fatigue could be due to heart failure but can be also a side effect of some medicines you are taking (clonazepam, prometazine, clonidine…).
Without treatment, heart failure will worsen. You can consult a cardiologist and a cardio-surgeon about the valvular disorders.
It doesn’t seem likely that your digestive disorders are related to your heart condition.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.