Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Cosmetic Surgery, Plastic Surgery Forum

Alarming Statistics Related to Mesothelioma In Us

Hello, my name is Jeremy Chan and i'm a mesothelioma Consultant, developing a data base regarding Mesothelioma and resources related to it.

During the course of on going re-search and analysis regarding upsurge in Mesothelioma related cases in usa, our team has came across these findings:

• Mesothelioma is a rare disease. There are 2000 to 3000 new cases of Mesothelioma every year in the United States. The fact that this figure appears to be increasing is worrisome.

• Approximately 2000 new cases of Mesothelioma are diagnosed in the US each year. According to the National Cancer Institute. Internationally, the incidence is approximately 9 cases per million.

• Malignant Mesothelioma has a peak incidence about 40 years after asbestos exposure and commonly develops when a person is between 50 and 70 years of age.

• Since diagnosis is often made very late in this particular disease, the average age of those diagnosed is 50 to 70 years. The disease affects men 3 to 5 times more than it does women. African Americans are less susceptible to contracting Mesothelioma than are white Americans. Of men with Mesothelioma, a case series study showed that 45% had a history of exposure to asbestos and 53% had occupational exposure to asbestos. Most of the men were railroad workers, construction workers, naval and automobile mechanics.

Me and my fellow researchers were astonished to see that, for nearly 20% of Mesothelioma cases in the United States, “Mesothelioma” is not mentioned on the death certificate or, if mentioned, is miscoded.

We have developed this data base at:

http://www.MesotheliomaResourceOnline.com

Our purpose is to provide in-depth, detailed and highly researched information regarding Mesothelioma and resources associated with it. Your contribution would be highly appreciated.

Thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
|