Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Cocaine Obliterated My Internal Voices

I had already stopped hearing voices while I was sober but every time I smoked a joint theyd come back as extreme as ever. After snorting some cocaine after I had smoked some weed something happened and the voices went away and never came back.

Id never really done cocaine before but it definately changed my mind for the better. Any schizophrenics here that hear voices tried coke as a remedy?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 25th, 2007
Community Volunteer
You better watch what you're doing. There was a schizophrenic we worked with who took a similar approach, had a stroke and now is so out of it it isn't even funny. It sounds to me like you need to finally get professional help because you've just entered the long, painful path of self-medicating.
|

replied March 25th, 2007
Experienced User
If they went away while you were sober why would you repeatedly do weed and then cocaine?? The mind is a fragile thing.
|

replied March 25th, 2007
I like drugs plain and simple. I prefer dealing with problems rather than avoiding them. Stan like loads of people you automatically assumed because I mentioned the word cocaine that I made a habit of it. I did it a few times and havent done it since. Im saying after doing it once the voices have vanished without a trace. Even when I smoke ganja now.
|

User Profile
replied March 25th, 2007
Community Volunteer
You really shouldn't be doing that. You're flirting with something very, very nasty that I've seen come on several times. The worst schizophrenics are those who do narcotics. Things will eventually catch up with you...
|

replied March 25th, 2007
Well lets agree to disagree. Your right in the sense that the drugs can intensify the problem but your leaving out the fact that if used a different way they can reduce the problem.

I think drugs are like tools like a hammer. They can be used to hammer in nails and build a house or they can be used to break your legs and cripple yourself.
|

User Profile
replied March 25th, 2007
Community Volunteer
Ha, bad analogy. Sure, perhaps you may find a way to do okay on them, but sooner or later you slip and the nail bends and the more you hit it the more it bends, digs into the wood and becomes nonfunctional. I cannot stop you, but I strongly recommend you do not do this. If you watch that movie I suggested you will see why.
|

replied March 25th, 2007
So you pull the nail out and use a new one. Just because theres a possibility of missing the nail and breaking your finger doesnt mean you shouldnt use hammers. You just have to be careful and sooner or later you will miss and break your finger but bones heal.
|

User Profile
replied March 25th, 2007
Community Volunteer
My god why did you even respond. Pull the nail out and there will be a hole left over, corrupting the wood.
|

replied March 25th, 2007
Then you fill the hole with some wood plastic. This time im joking.

I havent watched that film you were talking about. You know any links to watch some of it online?
|

User Profile
replied March 25th, 2007
Community Volunteer
Ha, I knew that was coming but the analogy ends with my awesome comment. Here is a clip, pretty grainy and definitely not the full effect of watching the entire movie, but you'll get some idea from it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPY6jTiCMh8

Here's another with better quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwYFxCnc9fg
|

User Profile
replied March 27th, 2007
Experienced User
Whoa ... I don't know much about schizophrenia but wow ... I've been studying alot of psychology lately and using cocaine as a remedy is extremely dangerous in any type of multiple personality disorder. Cocaine's a pretty hardcore drug ... in the long-run this is going to extremely worsen your condition, especially because cocaine completely f***s your mind up anyway ... this is pretty dangerous, I'd suggest you seek professional medical attention instead of trying to remedy yourself.
|

replied March 29th, 2007
cocaine isnt a very hardcore drug, in my opinion, but its not some thing you should do to make you better, im not schitzophrenic but about a year ago id smoke weed and hear things, hear voices, i stopped smoking for a long time, and it stopped, now mabey try an alternative like caffene or inositol (a vitamin) which is sometimes the cut in coke. just a suggestion Very Happy
|

User Profile
replied April 1st, 2007
Experienced User
Haha wow .. if you don't consider cocaine a hardcore drug ... then idk what you'd consider it. in my opinion anything that can mess up your mind (( which it can, i've seen it )) and slowly kill you, is a hardcore drug. using cocaine to try and cure your mind is only going to make it worse. but your suggestion of the vitamin was really smart =)
|

replied April 11th, 2007
Megans right its not a hardcore drug. Its not like heroin but when you snort it all day every day it becomes hardcore. Beautifullies with your definition every drug on the planet is a hardcore drug. Even tea. I guarentee you if you drink enough tea it will kill you. People have even died of water intoxication http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,,199 1038,00.html
The only difference between a food, drug, and poison is dosage.

I had the mother of all psychotic episodes after a few days up on speed last weekend. I woke up monday morning in the hospital and remembered I checked myself in the night before because I thought my brain was burning. I could smell burning plastic everywhere I went and got the idea in my head that my brain was melting from doing to much speed so in a panic thinking I was getting stupider by the minute I went to the hospital. On the way to the hospital I stopped in the pizza place and I thought the guy working at the counters head shrunk and became a demon. Then I realized it was a differnt guy. There were 2 people working there.

I had voices in my head the whole way through saying they were gonna come at 12:00 and crack my kidney. They say when they do an autopsy all theyre gonna see is a crack in your kidney but since you were doing speed and didnt eat it will look normal. They were saying evil crap like "we`ll send flowers to your mother when she comes home and finds you dead"

I went through a variety of delusions to explain the voices. At one point I thought I had an alien implant in my forehead where I have a huge scar. A voice was telling me I was a clone and they were using me to extract body parts. Another time I thought there was a demon inside my head severing brain connections making me stupid. At one point I thought the government was using psychics to find speed users to gather information on them. Wasnt until the next morning when i woke up in hospital that I realized how ridiculous the whole thing was.

I only remembered a few details which completely proved the voices were a product of my imagination the next day. One main one was when i thought i had a demon in my head it was naming the parts of my brain it was supposedely destroying and it mumbled one or two parts i didnt hear and mentioned the only part of the brain I really knew because I was looking it up a while ago. It said "Occupital discharge, disabled". Thinking back on that it didnt even make sense because occupital discharge is a disorder not a part of the brain.
|

replied April 12th, 2007
LoL BigDaddyPrimetime

Fighting fire with fire?
the door becomes rammed open by one drug..
and shut close because of another.... your bound to leave dents...

who knows.............
but what worked for you may not work for others.....
but glad all the same... still you mite become liable with this advice of yours....
it would explain all the concern people replying to your post....

best of luck
|

User Profile
replied April 25th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
BigDaddyPrimetime wrote:
I like drugs plain and simple. I prefer dealing with problems rather than avoiding them. Stan like loads of people you automatically assumed because I mentioned the word cocaine that I made a habit of it. I did it a few times and havent done it since. Im saying after doing it once the voices have vanished without a trace. Even when I smoke ganja now.

I think that using drugs to deal with problems is avoiding the problem, not dealing with it.

I'm glad you are feeling better now, but I would say it is probably not from the cocaine and it is likely that your illness will return.
|
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....