Has anyone heard of any studies on anorexia/ bullemia which have identified cases of blind anorexics/ bullemics? I know they are out there but I dont know where to look, please help!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 22nd, 2004
Blind anorexics/bulemics? Why would being blind have an influence on it? I understand it's about image, and if they're blind, they can't see they're fat. But there is always a mental image, blind or not. I'm curious too. Sounds interesting.
|

replied May 22nd, 2004
That is interesting.
Because when a person has one of those disorders, 1 pound seems like 10 to them.
But if you're blind, how can a warped sense of self image take hold that way?
They'd have to be feeling the areas where they think the fat is, then they'd probably get others opinions on it. So if they're skinny, people will tell them that. Unless they take someones opinion, and assume the direct opposite of that is true?
Very interesting the human mind is, no?
|

replied May 12th, 2005
Yager et al, describe the case of a 28 woman, who is blind from age two, anorectic from age 21. Touyz, found an in a woman blind from birth, although neither offered satisfactory explanations from their findings, blindness does not preclude an development and people do not have to see themselves to desire a slimmer physique.
|

replied May 5th, 2010
obviously, anorexia is a mental illness, I myself have suffered episodes of the illness. I felt like a lump walking around, it wasn't all about the mirror image, by your mind makes you feel like a giant. Also,perhaps,being blind may cause some co morbid depression leading to anorexia- by the way they feel, or the way they think others must perceive them.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....