Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

What causes ventricular hypertrophy? LVH?

User Profile
The UTI with renal CT indicated benign phleboliths in pelvis area - What does this mean? Also witht he Hypertension an Echo was done in May 2006 which indicated LVH , with Doppler indicating trace mitral and tricuspid regurgitation. What does this mean? I was denied a Health Insurance plan due to these findings. Can you help me by explaining what these mean. I did look on the interned re: LVH hypertrophy and it did indicate it could be due to exercise. I cycle 2 - 3 times a week doing up to 100 miles per week (approx 5 - 8 hrs of exercise per week) could this be a cause of ventricular hypertrophy. Am I a high risk for something going wrong medically with me.

Also with the benign phleboliths in the pelvis area is this high risk. Any information you can give me would be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you in advance for you help.

vicki

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 2nd, 2007
General Q&A Answer A2518
A "UTI" is the medical abbreviation for a urinary tract infection. UTIs can be accompanied by kidney stones, but no stones were observed during the pelvic CT-scan you experienced. The mineral shadows that observed were probably not due to stones, but are caused by carbonate deposits in the walls of the pelvic veins, or phlebolits.
LVH is the medical abbreviation for a left ventricle hypertrophy. During LVH, the wall of the left ventricle thickens. Left ventricle hypertrophy can be due to an increased load on the heart, specifically to the left ventricle.
Heart hypertrophy can be physiological only in people who play sports regularly. Sporty people can develop left ventricle hypertrophies to compensate for the increased physical effort required during exercise.
In most people, LVH is a pathological condition that is usually due to high blood pressure (HTA) or some type of heart valvular disorder such as regurgitation or stenosis. Left ventricle hypertrophy can also be idiopathic in nature, or have an unknown reason. At the beginning of the condition, LVH compensates for the increased heart load but if a primary disorder (HTA or valvular disorder, for example) continue to exist, hypertrophy won’t be able to compensate forever. In time, hypertrophy can develop into ventricular dilatation and heart failure. In your case, the LVH you are experiencing is probably due to mitral regurgitation. The physical efforts you’ve mentioned can’t cause LVH.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.