User Profile
Good day. My due date is 22nd of March 2007. However my ultrasound scans stipulate that my due date is only 13th of April. Baby is already 3.3kg but my docter wants me to go at least a week into april before even mentioning induction. Why is that? I am also having very strong BH all day long for the past week and a half. My cervix is not ripened and the baby hasnt dropped. Is there anything I can do at home to help this baby along? Will you recomend home induction and how should I go about? My docter however said last week that there is some white spots on the ultrasound where the afterbirth is and that should be closely monitored. What can that be and is it a concern? I am doing a natural birth again but the baby is posterior position is there anyway I can help her to turn as my first born was posterior and that hurts!! YIKES!!! I dont want any pain medication what is the best natural way for pain relief? Any ideas sorry for the long post! But thank you

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 2nd, 2007
Pregnancy Answer A2516
The normal duration of a pregnancy is 40 weeks, plus or minus 2 weeks. This means most women are at least 38 weeks pregnant before delivery is induced. A pregnancy due date is calculated by the formula:
Due date = last menstruation date (the 15th June) – 3 months + 7days
According to that formula, your due date is calculated to be around the 22nd of March, 2007. There is always a difference between a due date calculated according to the last menstruation and a due date calculated via ultrasound scan. We expect a slight difference between the two calculations because the ultrasound apparatus does not count days but calculates due date according to fetal dimensions which are then compared with standard values. In your case, however, it seems that there is a considerable difference (3 weeks) between the 2 pregnancy due dates. Such a big difference in due date could indicate a few things such as: slow fetal growth (the baby is small for its age); an incorrect estimation of the last menstruation date, or something else. There is nothing you can do at this point but wait. Ultrasound checks are very important for identifying possible problems with the fetus. A natural way to relieve pain during delivery is to synchronize the abdominal contractions with uterine contractions. That can be achieved with practice before delivery.
You may consult your obstetrician for more details on all of the questions you propose.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Pregnancy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.