Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Afraid to Eat After Food Poisoning

About a week ago I got food poisoning. Since then, my stomach has felt like it's been acting up. I went to the doc and got some antibiotics for it. I wake up in the morning and feel fine, but after I try to eat something, my stomach becomes irratated and such. I try eating and drinking, but nothing helps. I know i'm dehydrated, and have been through this before. Basically I know there is nothing wrong, but I have that fear that there is, so I end up not eating. I'm a very healthy person, but when I become sick I always fear the worst.

Could my anxiety about this whole thing be causing what i'm feeling? I want to eat but i'm just not hungry most of the time. Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 16th, 2004
If it is anxiety you could try eating smaller, less daunting portions. It is possible that your stomach has not got over the poisoning just yet, and so you should drink some milk and eating some fibre should help. Alcohol should be avoided. You could also try herbal tea.
|

replied February 16th, 2004
Thanks for the info. I head herbal and green tea are really good for helping get rid of the toxins faster. My issue is that I just vomiting. I know that once I do, i'll feel so much better, but it's just having to go through all that doesn't seem worth it to me. I saw the doc again today and he said he's seen people who have the same issue. I wish I could get over it, but oh well. Maybe some hypnotherapy? Lol.
|

replied March 19th, 2004
Here Here
I will second the suggestion of the herbal tea. Also, chai is a great soothing drink as well. Smile
|

replied April 6th, 2004
Food Posioning Anxiety...
Dear del,

hope you've faired well. I have the same issue after vomiting. Seems one trip into the local micdee's got me 4 days in the hospital with a torn stomach wall. Can't get near a chocolate shake.

Start with simple comfort foods, tea, toast, crackers, soup, vegies. Work your way up to the complex meals in several days. Gain trust that these will be ok and it was just a simple item that went bad.

Start remembering what shouldn't be in the refrig too long. Meat and take out over 3 days. 'cept t-day turkey. Deli items, hot dogs out of the package up 1 week.

Remember this to start with what a baby starts with. Simple foods. You can control the anxiety by understanding and working away the fear.

Best wishes mate.
|

replied May 28th, 2004
Eat some raw garlic

and drink alot of water
|

replied November 20th, 2004
Experienced User
M6, I thought that I got food poisoning after eating at a mcdonald's almost a year ago too, and like del, I was scared to eat anything after I threw up. It was terrible. I got down to 103 pounds (which is unhealthy for my build). I haven't touched a mcdonald's hamburger or fries since. I just don't think that those fast food restaurants are always clean with their food. And another thing is that they probably don't take the time to cook things thouroughly because it is "fast food".
|

replied May 1st, 2009
food poisening
I have just spent four days in bed with campulobacteriosis. I have eaten nothing and now I feel hungry I just fancy some scrambled egg or an omelette, is this a bad idea?
|

replied June 19th, 2010
food poisoning
i had food poisoning 4 days ago,it was awfull!!!!!ughhh..i could't even imagine it looks like that!!right now i'm pretty ok..lots of water with lemon juice,pedialyte water and some clear chicken soup made my life much better!the thing is,after few days of diet i'm feeling hungry and i'm craving mostly for unhealthy food!!i think is weird but i'm dreaming about pizza,which i like only from time to time..ehhh:/ what to do?what to do?
|

replied June 22nd, 2010
Supporter
Del,
I can understand how you feel. I really dont like eating out because I dont know who is handling the food, if it is kept at the right temperature, or are they dating it. I also have had food poisening and it takes awhile to really get your appetite back. I think you are suffering from anxiety from it which is normal. Try eating very bland foods that are easy on the stomach. I dont know if anyone else has had this problem, but if I vomit something up, recently it was gatorade, I will never drink it again. Another time it was iced tea and I cannot stomach that. Even thinking about these things makes me want to vomit. Anyone else had this problem?

Cindy
|

replied June 22nd, 2010
I also don't like eating out b/c i don't trust other people handling food that I eat. I especially can't enjoy barbeques b/c i don't trust that people kept the food cold and took proper safety precautions. I try to stick to "safe" foods like grilled cheese, fries, pasta. I barely ever eat fish or meat b/c of my fears. I hate being like this but i can't help it!
|

replied June 3rd, 2016
Me too
I had food poisoning twice in my life 6 years ago it tooks me 2 years to recover and the second time was more than a year ago I'm still not able to eat .... its very bad I lost a lot of weight from 170 lb to 131 in few months .... sometimes I reached a point where I wanted to kill my self for not being able to eat like normal people .... I'm just scared to eat ! .... never vomit in my entire life I'm afraid if I vomit that I will chock and die .... its so bad feeling .... I don't know where to go or what to do ??? people doesn't understand why I cant eat ... I cant explain to them why ? its just fear of death ... maybe ?
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Deepak Anvekar
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
User Profile
Dr. Abhijeet Deshmukh
Must Read
You've probably had a case of food poisoning at least one in your life...but what types of food poisoning exist? Basics on food poisoning here....
Not everyone will get sick from contaminated food. Learn who is more at risk of food poisoning, and what factors increase bacterial growth here....
How do you know if you've got a case of salmonella food poisoning versus e. coli? Learn the basic symptoms of food poisoning and when to seek help here....