User Profile
I found out that I have Group B Strep. The doctor said that they will just put an IV drip in me, but I have to be sure and get it at least 4 hours before the baby is born. I really didn't think to ask her much else, because I didn't think it was so serious. But, I made the mistake of looking it up on the internet and i'm terrified!!! My concern is getting the antibiotic in time, among other things!!! I was speaking to my mom and she said that both of her labors only lasted 1.5 hours!!!! Has anybody had Group B Strep and not been able to get the Antibiotics in time? If so, what happened with your baby? I'm scared!!! I'm due the 23rd of March and I was wondering if I should induce that way I know i'll get treatment! I don't know, am I overreacting? Thank You for any help!!!! Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I wouldnt be overly concerned about it, if your dr thought that they would have brought up induction. I had group b strep with my first as soon as i got to the hospital i told them i had it and they got me hooked up on antibiotics before i got the saline drip for my epidural. i was in labor 6 and a half hrs with him. he came out ok, had a fever when he was born but no one knew why so he was put on antibiotics right away. in the end all was well. Lookin stuff up online will freak ya out. But iwouldnt stress over it to much. It should be ok. My mom had short labors, but mine were eh 6 and 4 hrs so somewhat short but not as short as hers.
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2007
Supporter
your mom may have ment she was pushing for 1.5 hours... being in labour for only 1.5 hours dosnt seem right. i had group b strep. my son is fine. dont worry so much about not getting the iv in time. i was in labour for around 20ish hours, in that time i was on the drip for along time plus a pain drug. I kno it hard not to be worried about it. i was worried to but everything will b ok
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
oh_mommy wrote:
your mom may have ment she was pushing for 1.5 hours... being in labour for only 1.5 hours dosnt seem right. i

i was in labour with logan for 2 hours so it is posible
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2007
Supporter
beckster06 wrote:
oh_mommy wrote:
your mom may have ment she was pushing for 1.5 hours... being in labour for only 1.5 hours dosnt seem right. i

really wow, did u tear really good too then? i tore good and i was pushing for almost 2 hours
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
short labors are possible, but going by the fact that your mom had a short labor doesnt mean that yours will be equally as short. my sister had long labours, her first she was leaking amniotic fluid for 3 days and in labor for 16 or more hours.
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
oh_mommy wrote:
beckster06 wrote:
oh_mommy wrote:

really wow, did u tear really good too then? i tore good and i was pushing for almost 2 hours

my labor was like not quite 4 hrs with jordynne, but i only pushed 4 times, i didnt tear lol , they had the stuff ready to suture me up and didnt need it thank goodness cuz i had no time for an epidural either. luckily 2nd time around i tested negative for group b strep
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
oh_mommy wrote:
beckster06 wrote:
oh_mommy wrote:

nope i have never teared in all three pregnancies. i pushed him out in 7 mins. i was 26 hours with layla so it kinda evened it out Wink
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2007
Supporter
tinkinpink84 wrote:
oh_mommy wrote:
beckster06 wrote:
oh_mommy wrote:

my labor was like not quite 4 hrs with jordynne, but i only pushed 4 times, i didnt tear lol , they had the stuff ready to suture me up and didnt need it thank goodness cuz i had no time for an epidural either. luckily 2nd time around i tested negative for group b strep

yea, i ment to ask my dr about this, but with every preg i will have might i b negitive or is it something i will always have?
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
im guessing that theres apossibility of having it or not with each pregnancy like having it with one doesnt mean u will with another pregnancy or vice versa. get what i mean? i dunno if i explained it to make sense .
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2007
Supporter
so in other words just bcuz i was + this time dosnt mean i will b + next time and i could b -
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
yeah , as far as i know , i assume i was tested again this time around, they dotn tell me much but they had there hands in my crotch at almost every appt so im sure they did that test near the end. And they never said i was posotive for it. and jordynnes fine so i assume it was negative.
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2007
Supporter
oh yea, thats good then Very Happy
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2007
My Doctor called me this morning. She seems not worried at all. She was like, well if he gets infected then it's serious. Only 1-2% of babies get infected. She said to just go in as soon as my contractions are strong. She also said that there are a lot of women who don't make that 4 hour window to get the antibiotics and their babies are fine. It just freaks me out reading about meningitis and the brain defects and stuff. It's so hard not to worry! This damn internet, i'll tell you!!! It should NOT allow you to look up scary crap!!!! Thank you everybody for your information!!!
|

replied March 16th, 2007
Experienced User
I Was Gbs Positive And Didn’t Get the Antibiotics In Time
I was GBS positive and didn’t get the antibiotics in time… time was my first child and my labor started around 5 in the morning I got to the hospital around 9 and my daughter was born at 9:41… they had my hooked up to antibiotics for 40 mins… what they did with me was kept the baby an extra day and watched her just to make sure… but everything was fine….good luck with everything Smile
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...