Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lupus Forum

Neuropsychiatric Testing?

Hi all!

I woke up on friday with my body going into a flare. Embarassed

so, after calling my immunologist (who is awesome!), I got worked into the clinic today. I was there for 5 hours!!!!

At the end of it all, it was decided that I needed the following:

neuropsychiatric testing: I have been experiencing memory loss, not able to find words while speaking and previously I actually forgot how to speak or understand english (my native language!).

Ecocardiogram: I have been having severe chest pain with it running down my left arm.

Mri/mra: this will be my 4th mri/mra. See the items under neuropsychiatric testing

has anyone had any of the first two tests? If so, how were they?

Any feedback would help!
Ladybrannon Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ssharkey
|

replied August 26th, 2003
Experienced User
Lady Brannon
I also have been having some memery loss lately. I was wondering if I was going nuts! I notice it a few weeks ago. It scares me because I take care of my husband and I have to do the ( remembering) in our house due to his illness. I have trouble remembering every day things. I have always had a very good memory, thats why I noticed this was not like me to have this happen to me. I also noticed lately my brain is not getting the message to my body parts soon enough. For example-like now I knew what I was going to say but before I finished typeing for example I forgot! Also, you know how on tv sometimes they get the person talking, but the sound is delayed so itis off que. Thats how i've felt lately. Weird! I haven't heard of those test before. Explain again where you go when you have a flare up? All they have ever done for me is give me an i.V. And bed rest for a few days that dosen't always do the trick.
Sharon
|

replied September 2nd, 2003
Active User, very eHealthy
Sharon
See a neurologist! It cannot hurt, you know?

Yes, I do know what you mean. Yesterday, when driving back from atlanta, I tried to get out of a moving car (80 mph) because my brain knew I needed to go to the bathroom. Scared the h&ll out of me and my hubby!

Let me know what you find out. Also, about keeping up with you and your husband...Keep lists everywhere and cross off as you do each item. It has saved my sanity!

Smile
ladybrannon
|

replied September 2nd, 2003
Experienced User
Doctors
Hi lady brannon,wellcome back Smile I had a very good nero. Doctor in texas. The one I first saw here was a jerk!!! I haven't looked for another one yet. I'll ask my rheu. For a referral.I will see him on the 16th. I've never trid to get out of a moving vehicle yet. That would have scared me too! Now i'm glad I always lock my door when I get in my truck. My husband thinks i'm being silly. Be carefull out there.

Sharon Smile
|

replied September 3rd, 2003
Sharon
Hi there!

You know...I think you can get a list of doctors in your area from the lfa's website.

Www.Lupus.Org.

Cheerio,
ladybrannon
|

replied September 4th, 2003
Neuropsych Testing
I had the neuropsych testing, after experiencing similar memory loss and problems with word-finding, etc. It was about 8 hours with a neuropsychologist (four hours each on two successive days). He first took a detailed history (life, education, medical, and symptoms leading to the testing). Then he gave me a series of tests, like saying a list of words and asking me to repeat them; saying a list of numbers and asking me to repeat them backwards; telling a story and asking me to tell it back to him. The tests were easy and there's no need to be nervous. It reminded me of grade school. There were other components, too, but don't worry about any of it. You don't pass or fail. Your performance helps show the psychologist if there are specific parts of your brain which are not functioning normally.

After a month, I got the results, which basically said that I was very depressed! Of course, we already knew that! The problem is "central nervous system lupus" isn't always picked up in mris, mras or neuropsych testing. They can tell you if they see it, but it can also be there without any tests showing it definitively.

Final note: my testing was in february 2003. In august, my confusion deepened, and my doctor took me off neurontin and reduced my dose of imuran from 3 to 1 per day. Interestingly, my mind got clearer! So perhaps when we suspect our brains, it's side effects of the multitude of drugs that we're on!

Hope this was helpful.
Susan
|

Experienced User
Memory Loss
Hi susan, thanks for sharing your experance with me. I have been through the same testing with my husband for his illness. Thats partly what scares me. I have been on nortripoline before and I refuse to take it now. Thats part of why it's so frustrating to tell the doctors what's bothering me. They want to put me on all these meds and because of all the side affects, I don't want to take them. What is a girl to do Exclamation Confused

Sharon
|

to Susan
Thanks susan...Ironically enough they called me today to set up my testing date.

I guess i'm not that scared just worried, you know? Today, I opened the oven and tried to pull it out without a mit on...

I think I am losing my mind. Crying or Very sad

i know that my mris/mras in the past have showed a small change and that I do have mild neuropathy...

I just want to feel better...At one time, I was one of the brightest students in my state (captain of the state winning quiz bowl team in 1992). Now, I don't trust myself to get into a car without locking the doors.

Argh!

Thanks so much, susan...Sharon. You guys are great!
Ladybrannon
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
Must Read
Learn the basics about autoimmune disorders, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing an autoimmune disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for autoimmune disorders....