Hi my names Darius i'm 17, and i believe i need help. I've been slightly despressed for 2 years now for two years now and i think things are getting worse and i'm starting to scare even myself. My lifes been slightly rough, parents divorced, being moved around alot, moms boyfriends all piss me off, lack of popularity and attention in school. My lifes not perfect but i know i'm fortunate for what i DO have which leads me to start discussing the things that disturb me. I've contemplated suicide before, but have never gone all the way, ie just planning in my head, grabbing the knife and putting it away etc. Common sense just came into place, i know that the things that make me upset and despressed are not worth taking my life over. but lately i've been thinking more and more about suicide and i honestly don't know why...
Over the past few months, maybe since the start of 07 stuff has been going downhill, my grades are slipping, my energy and drive just seem completly gone, my desire to hang out with my friends and my hobbies and interests are far lower than they used to be. Getting up in the morning is really really hard now, and the last few days i've not been going to school, but taking residense(sp?) hiding underneath my bed...
Only way to describe it is i'm afraid to go to school... and i don't know why, i'm not being bullied and sure i'm not popular but i have my circle of friends... i've avoided talking to my friends lately aswell once again don't know why...
I've overdosed on pills and other random stuff to miss days of school in the past, and i now see that i'm trying to take the easy way out of everything in life, seems childish but i don't want to be challenged... it frightens me to think my ideal situation is being a vegetable in a mental institution...
Well thats about everthing i know i need help, so i guess i'm looking for advice and suggestions, my mom is already aware
I've told her recently bascially all this stuff... so maybe some suggestions that i could also share with her?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 12th, 2007
Experienced User
darius
you need professional help immediately. talk to your mom or a counselor at school but seek help now. my parents were divorced and i've been divorced. we all have troubles to deal with and sometimes they become overwhelming. when things seem that bad then we need help. there is nothing wrong with getting help when we need it. not all of us are do-it-yourselfers. there are people like myself who are here to help and listen.
sometimes that's not enough andyou need a little extra.
hang in there and talk to a professional. i will be here for you too!
|

User Profile
replied March 13th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Re: I Think I Need Help
Hi, Darius.
Coming to this forum is already one step towards recovery. It's going to be a long path, sometimes you'll feel there's no hope, but don't give up. You can rely on people around to vent your feelings. Smile

As for those situations you mention, they are changes and sometimes, changes are very needed. They must have happened for some reasons, but that's not what's important here. Prior to what motivated those things is how you see them and how you're dealing with them.
It's so good you came here and talked about that, you have to feel better and talking is one way of achieving that.

Darius17 wrote:
Over the past few months, maybe since the start of 07 stuff has been going downhill, my grades are slipping, my energy and drive just seem completly gone, my desire to hang out with my friends and my hobbies and interests are far lower than they used to be. Getting up in the morning is really really hard now, and the last few days i've not been going to school, but taking residense(sp?) hiding underneath my bed...
Only way to describe it is i'm afraid to go to school... and i don't know why, i'm not being bullied and sure i'm not popular but i have my circle of friends... i've avoided talking to my friends lately aswell once again don't know why...

Have you told anyone else about this situations? Maybe someone close to you?
Pills are not the solution, believe me. They can help if they're prescribed by a doctor, but never at your own risk. And even when they're prescribed there's not the certainty that they'll be helpful. Sometimes they just make you worse. Besides, they cause addiction, as you notice.
As for your grades and school life, nothing will change if you don't make an effort. Bearing that, you can start doing little things that can help you. They can seem to be hard tasks sometimes, but they will help you at a long term. I'm thinking of, for instance, studying with a friend, get a hobby or two, go out with a friend more often, don't be at home alone and closed all by yourself for a long time, read a new book, shoot some photos, go for a walk with you mom, share tasks with her (cooking is great! xD), etc.

Apart from that, seeking for medical help (seek for a professional) is a must do in your case, ok? Smile
Will you try any of these things? Smile

Good luck and write back!
|

User Profile
replied July 23rd, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Your symptoms are consistent with depression.
I would suggest you antidepressant like escitalopram for atleast 6 months. Psychotherapy sessions are also helpful.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Depression , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.