Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

I Thought Older Babies Slept....

User Profile
my friends kid is 5 almsot 6 mths old btu developmentally 5 mths, she told me her kids sleep through the night her almost 2 yr olds been up screaming now sleeping, her son leland he eats like a newborn still like every hr i swear, hes old enough for baby food but she doesnt feed it to him ever. so hes eating like 6 oz bottles every hr to 2 hrs, btu then again its 3 scoops for 6oz and she puts 2 in. so i dunno, hes short for his height but overweight they told him.
i got me 2 hrs of sleep i think not even sure that, both leland and my baby jordynne are up , hes being loud makin happy noises so cant sleep , jordynnes just sitting quietly smiling and makin lil noises. so i m suck up at 6 after no sleep.
she better come at 8 or 9 like she said or i wil go crazy , i dont want this oopps i fell asleep comin at the afternoon stuff. i gotta function all day on no sleep.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 10th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
brayden is a year old and still dont sleep through the night. We've tried everything...
|

User Profile
replied March 10th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
DaliciaLovesYou wrote:
brayden is a year old and still dont sleep through the night. We've tried everything...

my son was like that, 14 mths is when he stopped wakin up but 12-14 mthsheonly woke up like 1am for abottle that was it, my friends kid is up like every hr on the hour. still. and eats all the time. not to mention she had the poor thing bundled up she has a very warm outfit on with the feet part on it and socks, i took his socks off when i changed him , he always has a funky smell to him too idunno. i think she over dresses and over feeds him . he needs to eat alot more baby food and less formula she rarely gives it to him and all she does is sleep all day wich i dont even know how she gets to do that with 2 kids under 2.
hes in a happy mood right now being loud though.
|

replied March 10th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
don't forget that every baby is different. and also every family is different. maybe you should watch their kids anymore.

oh and what is up with putting 2 scoops in for 6 oz of water? the child isnt' getting enough....is she trying to keep him skinny? or is she trying to....what starve her child.....Maybe you should look into ummmmmm cps or something.....not feeding your child isn't a good thing.
|

User Profile
replied March 10th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
i dunno why she does that , i just noticed it yesterday, when i make his bottles i do it correctly but eating so often she should be giving him baby food now too, he already has his 2 bottom teeth in as well. i dunno maybe she is doing it cuz wic told her he was overweight i really dunno. i never asked her. im suprised she actually came back at 9am to get her kids this morning, now shes sleepin all day. she lets her 23 mth old run around the house while she sleeps, i guess the baby sleeps all day i dunno lol.
maybe she doesnt read the thing on the formula container although hers has 2 4 and 8 oz and no 6oz thing on the container , so maybe she doesnt know that its i scoop per 2oz
|

User Profile
replied March 10th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
my friend also told me he sleeps all night, since he was 2 mth old so eh, bad night last night i guess
|

replied March 10th, 2007
Experienced User
Re: I Thought Older Babies Slept....
tinkinpink84 wrote:
my friends kid is 5 almsot 6 mths old btu developmentally 5 mths, .

Not sure where you are going with this one, but if the baby is 5 months old shouldn't he/or she be developmentally 5 months old?? Even if the baby was 6 months old, there is no way that you or anyone can say that the baby is developmentally 5 months old....all babies develop and grow at different rates.

Also even though he sleeps through the night at home I think its normal for him to keep waking up while he is at your house.....he is in a strange place.

Edited for clarification.
|

User Profile
replied March 10th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
he was born premature. so he is 6 mths old really . but gestational age is 5 mths. my friend was the one that told me developmentally 5 mths old.
thats what i figure he was in a new place. although ive watched them before plenty, we take turns watching the kids. he hasnt slept since she got home either so eh i dunno but he is sick, her daughter is sick wich she didnt know dropping them off but luckily when she dropped em off joseph was in bed and when she picked them up joseph hadnt woken up yet, them 2 sometimes end up sharing sippy cups. so hopefully my kids dont get sick for a 3rd time . they seem to pass germs around in a circle constantly lol.
|

User Profile
replied March 10th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
landon use to wake up 3 times a night when he was 5 months, but the past week or two its been once and night to have a little bit of milk and hes konked out. its awesome! he has his bath at 7, then his bottle, then a read him the berenstein bears and then he goes to sleep by 8, wakes up at 1 eats, and then hes ready for action at 630 hehe. Very Happy
|

replied March 10th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Hmm, I think your friend needs to be a little more educated about nutritional needs for babies. I am in no way trying to be rude, but for the sake of that baby something has to be done. Does she realize that if she continually makes his bottles with the correct amount of powder that he may stop eating so often? My daughter will be 1 this tuesday and she's slept through the night since she was a month old, give or take. however when she had a cold a couple months ago she started waking up at night, just to be held...she didn't want a bottle. So then she got into the routine of getting up at night for me to come hold her. So then I stopped getting her in the middle of the night and she's been back to her same sleep routine. It only took 1 night of letting her 'cry it out'. She only woke up once that night too.
Has she taken the baby to a doctor? I feel bad for that baby Sad
|

replied September 6th, 2007
I have a 5 month old whom started sleeping through the night when he was approx 3 months old. The trick I used was to give him a bath and then feed him before bedtime. For some reason it relaxes him. My sister-in-law told me about this and I ve been using this technique ever since. Good luck!!!
|

replied September 8th, 2007
Experienced User
Hi All: I was told by my pediatrician that if your baby is still being breastfed at 3, 4, 5, 6 mo..etc..then you WANT him/her to wake thru the night at least once, because the breastmilk only lasts about 2 hours in the stomach, he says if your baby goes all night and is a breastfed baby, there could be a chance of dehydration.
Just a thought.
Mine is 6mo this week, and is on breastmilk and cereal, baby food (beginning) and I anticipate his wakes around 1am and 4am...he is only half awake, I plop the bottle in him..and after 5 or so. minutes he rolls over and goes back to sleep, until the next feeding.
I don't mind it in the night, because I am usually a night hawk anyways...lol..
Thanks.
|
Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....