Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....
How many of you ladies gave your baby a soothie?

if and when did you start taking them away?

Does your baby only take them at night?

Is your child dependant on them?

I just don't know when to take .Amelia's away for just the night time. She takes one all the time. i really don't want her taking it after she is a year old....but if it helps her sleep, lord i donno....advice plz

thanks ladies.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 9th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Well .oni take one but only at night/nap time. As soon as she wakes up, she throws it.

I don't want her to be dependant on it either, or to be 3/4 years old with a binky jammed in her mouth.

I think a year is a good time to start weining her if she sucks all day. But if she's just at night, then she'll more than likely start to show signs of being "over it."

Little .jathan is 2 and sometimes he'll wake up and want his binky. But he'll only suck it for about 20 seconds, then take it out and pass out. So, it's hard to determine when exactly she'll be ready.

And as long as the noonies are .orthodontic, then she should be fine, at least for a lil while!

Sarah
|

replied March 9th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
yeah she will take a soothie all the time but she doesnt' need it unless she see's it. i think that i am going to have to keep it out of sight until bed/nap time.

she went down last night without it. so we will see i guess.....

Oh and oh my god, she slept all night last night in her crib all by herself. i was sooooo happy. I got up like 3 times to check on her but she was fine. but it was sooooo great. but i missed her though in my bed with me. Sad but she needs to sleep in her own bed, ill or not. she didnt' have her soothie when she went to bed, but she woke up with one in her mouth...i put it in the corner of the crib and she found it.

aaaww i love her.
|

replied March 9th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Lol...Oni's the *same* way! If she spots it, it goes right in her mouth. But she doesn't complaign when I tell her "gimmie dat noonie!" and pretend to suck it! She *cracks up!*

Awww...melia's getting so smart!!! I'm tellin ya, her and .oni would be tearin sh't up! Add .adriana and .chu to the mix...and they'll have to call the 5-0(police for those who don't know)!!

Oni passes out without it all the time. BUt about 2 hours later, she'll start just sucking nothing. ANd realize "hey, where the hell is my noonie?!?!" then she gets pissed if it isn't in her crib! lmaO!

Sarah
|

replied March 9th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
i dont think you should take it away...she will throw it away when she feels she doesnt want it anymore...
|

replied March 9th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
babymajic0506 wrote:

Awww...melia's getting so smart!!! I'm tellin ya, her and .oni would be tearin sh't up! Add .adriana and .chu to the mix...and they'll have to call the 5-0(police for those who don't know)!!
Sarah

ooohh yeah they would be in trouble.....lock them up. we have the cutest kiddos out there.....we all do.

Yeah amelia will play with me and take it out of her mouth and stick it in my mouth and then she opens her mouth wanting me to do it to her. lol it's sooo darling.....but whe will get two (because they are all over my house) and try to stick both of them in her mouth...it's crazy she is crazy smart. Yeah amelia will suck nothing when it falls out when she is sleeping. i love it when she does that...its super cute. (i donno why though.)

oh and sarah.............she i .F.i.n.a.l.l.y sitting up without my help.....for about 1-2 mins then she gets excited and starts bouncing causing her to fall over...but i have carpet so its ok.....but i love it. she looks like a little person with her teeth and stitting up and all. oh and when she has her little old navy jeans and polo top and nikies. awww ok i am done bragging.
|

User Profile
replied March 9th, 2007
Community Volunteer
if it is orthodontic then I wouldn't worry about her having it at night.

while it might not be your ideal the big question is how important is it that your child doesn't have a night time binkie?

I had friends who had a secret binkie while in high school - they just snuck it in at night...

For me personally so long as a child takes it out to speak... - nothing worse than a child trying to talk while grpping a binkie between his/her teeth Confused

So look at why you want to take it away, especially at night.
|

User Profile
replied March 9th, 2007
Supporter
My boys had them for less than 6 months...... Jordan wasn't really keen on it anyway, and .Jersey doesn't like it. She only really took it in the hospital.
|

replied March 9th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Oni didn't take it for the 1st 3 months. Her Dr. said her tongue was actually to big at the moment for one.

But she started wanting to suck her thumb. And I wasn't having that. So I would stuff something under the noonie to keep it in! I was bad. Especially in the car.

Her noonie would fall out, and she'd start *screaming*!! And I coudn't do anyhting about it! I got smart, and started keeping an extra on me! lol!

I was on the very of giving up, but refused. Finally, she started putting her hand in front of it to hold it in. And she was a pro everyday after that!

Sarah
|

replied March 9th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Kia, i need her to have it at night, because we dont' sleep so well without it. I need to sleep so it is very needed at night.

So i dont' know what is important right now. i just think that i really wnat her to have a soothie and be a baby forever.....ack!!!!! i know that she won't be but ummmmm I will have to think about this.
|

User Profile
replied March 9th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
We tried to give .alyvia paci's when she was tiny. She always, always hated them. She became a thumb sucker. I've made up my mind to break her of that by the time she turns 1. I absolutely do not want her carrying that habit into her life.
|

replied March 9th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Laura darling she has already started her life....hehe

i was a thumb sucker, and people tried to get melia to suck her thumb and i nipped that in the bud....one day a guy friend of mine was holding her and he knew that i didnt' want her sucking her thumb and he started to try to get her to suck it...and I started yelling and crying.....I am the mother....lol

oh good times
|

User Profile
replied March 9th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Yeah but she won't really remember this part of it! Laughing

.i'd rather break her of it while she's young than when she's 2-3 years old or later - when she's going through those "I want to do what I want" years, when they say no to everything. Nuh uh. This is stopping very very soon.
|

replied March 9th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
AyaMiyaki wrote:
Yeah but she won't really remember this part of it! Laughing

.i'd rather break her of it while she's young than when she's 2-3 years old or later - when she's going through those "I want to do what I want" years, when they say no to everything. Nuh uh. This is stopping very very soon.

Good luck dear, let me know how that works for ya....i wouldn't know where to start with something that is attached to their body.....our little ones are coming up on a year Shocked how crazy is that.?
|

User Profile
replied March 9th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Oh .god, don't remind me. She turns 7 months tomorrow. I don't know how .i'm going to deal with her 1st birthday. Augh. Crying or Very sad

.we had our taxes done at the library, and we were swarmed by all these elderly people. (just for the record, old people are to babies what drug addicts are to heroin.) everybody was sooo in love with her. But anyway, she was sucking her thumb while we were waiting for our turn, and one of the ladies told me that they broke their son of thumb sucking by wrapping tape or something around it.

I dunno. I'm going to do some .googling before I decide on a method. I don't want to wait until she's older. I want to get her broken of it before it becomes an issue, I really do. I need to find a baby-friendly way of doing it.
|

replied March 9th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
our babies are almost a complete month apart. Amelia will be 8 months on Next saturday. Shocked I am so not ready.

Yeah old people just love love love babies. I have so many come up to amelia and just want to touch her. (not too keen on that.) I took her to the nursing home that my great aunt is in and they all were like Shocked baby, look a baby.....ooohhhhh baby...aawww look at that baby....oh what a darling... Shocked look at those cheeks. LOL . They all !**@! around us. it was crazy.
|

User Profile
replied March 9th, 2007
Community Volunteer
Sunflower_pie81 wrote:
Kia, i need her to have it at night, because we dont' sleep so well without it. I need to sleep so it is very needed at night.

So i dont' know what is important right now. i just think that i really wnat her to have a soothie and be a baby forever.....ack!!!!! i know that she won't be but ummmmm I will have to think about this.

That's what I mean.
I see no need to break them of in-offensive bedtime habits if it means they sleep well.

Just gradually wean her off it for daytime use f you don't want her to have it then.
|

User Profile
replied March 9th, 2007
Community Volunteer
AyaMiyaki wrote:
We tried to give .alyvia paci's when she was tiny. She always, always hated them. She became a thumb sucker. I've made up my mind to break her of that by the time she turns 1. I absolutely do not want her carrying that habit into her life.

uh uh - Robert was a thumbsucker.
he used to cuddle up to my mom (she's got long hair) and wrap a piece of hair round his thumb and then suck his thumb (not the hair) then the ends of the hair he'd play with Laughing

He was a baaaaaaaaaad thumbsucker and his thumbs were different sizes - the sucked one was longer and thinner (well I guess it still is lol)
and he ended up with the skin getting sore and cracked.

I think he's out grown it since his mid teens or there abouts.
|

User Profile
replied March 9th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Joseph never took a binkie, i bought tons before he was born, he never sucked his thumb either , hehe, so i got lucky with him. jordynne uses one, but she isnt dependant on it. she willl fall asleep sucking on it but it falls out but doesnt seem to phase her she sleeps all night pretty much like its predictable the time she wakes up etc. so i dont think it will be too hard to ween. maybe once they start on juices etc and sippy cups try and ween the binkie away i think when they grow older then tend to sleep longer and more independent, joseph was still waking up oncea night at 12-14mths. its weird for me, joseph was only dependant on having his blanket with him at night for bed. or he would scream. so binkies aint my thing or i dont have a problem with them, this time around i waited until after jordynne was born to buy any, they gave her one at the hospital, and if she took it then i would buy more. i threw out new ones with joseph i think.
|

replied March 9th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
we spent two weeks before jacobs first birthday weaning him off of it.. everyday he'd get it less and less, then after he turned 1 he only gets it at night, then at 2 not at all.
|