Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Mononucleosis Forum

Accuracy of Mono Test Results/symptoms? Staff Infection?

I went to my doctor on monday because my university doctor was bad and what he gave me didn't help my problem. So my REAL doctor told me that I might have mono or a staff infection because of the severity of my sore throat (***** red mucusy throat negative for strept)

The only external symptoms I had of mono were a fever and sore throat. Absolutely no fatigue what so ever and I don't know about swollen lymph nodes.

My test results for mono came back negative, but my doctor said that doesn't mean I don't have it, and there is no way to test for staff. So I should be watched very closely for the next couple of weeks and take it easy.

I was wondering as to the accuracy of mono test results? Also, my spring break is coming up this week. I was planning on going to Florida for the first weekend to see a concert that I've already paid for. I would be taking it easy while in Florida and at the concert. So I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the situation. How much of a risk would it be to go to Florida for 3 days 6 days after my fever had gone away and 5 days after being placed on antibiotics?

Could someone also shed some light on the severity of a staff infection? If my throat is getting quickly better off the antibiotics, is that a good sign?

Thanks,

Smeshy
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 6th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
when I had mono they took a blood test. did they do this for you?

i had mono and it was horrible...i didnt' get the tiredness until later into it. it was about 2 weeks into it. i had it for like 2 months. you need to be monitered because your spleen could swell and burst. this would be a bad thing because it could burst without you knowing it.

good luck and keep us informed.

Gen
|

replied March 6th, 2007
Yeah...the results came back negative, but my doctor said they weren't 100% accurate. I was wondering if anyone knew how inaccurate they actually were?

Thanks!
|

replied March 8th, 2007
I'm curious that you said you didn't get the tiredness until 2 weeks into the Mono? Hmmmm...that's strange, because I just posted about my 14 year old daughter and how she was only diagnosed with Mono last Sunday, March 4. She started having acute symptoms on Friday, although she did mention having a mild sore throat for a few days before that.

Anyway, it's only Wednesday and she's just about back to normal! Her temp is only 97.5 down from 102.8 a few days ago. Isn't tired like she was and is eating normal foods, so her throat is feeling better. She was tired initially and went to bed at 7:30 for two nights. But, she sure doesn't seem that way at all now. Do you think she could suddenly begin feeling fatigued later on? Or is this just a mild case that, might, indeed have run its course??? I'm perplexed. Question

Sunflower_pie81 wrote:
when I had mono they took a blood test. did they do this for you?

i had mono and it was horrible...i didnt' get the tiredness until later into it. it was about 2 weeks into it. i had it for like 2 months. you need to be monitered because your spleen could swell and burst. this would be a bad thing because it could burst without you knowing it.

good luck and keep us informed.

Gen
|

replied April 12th, 2007
Mono Too
I had mono last year. My doc said I was in the acute phase.Severe sore throat,glands in my neck very swollen, streph throat but, no fever and very little tiredness! I am a mom & work with special ed kids all day so I didn't notice being more tired that usual. Another teacher said she was tired for about a year. I took 3 days off and went back to work. The doctor could tell by my bloodwork. We thought I got it from one of my students and the parents weren't concerned but, my family got tested. My husband's bloodwork showed a past infection, son was clear and It appears I got it from my 9 year old daughter. I nearly fell off the chair. He said from her bloodwork she had it approximately............. and it fit in perfectly with when I got it!

Pam
|
Must Read
Is mononucleosis bacterial or viral? Does everyone get mono at some time? How does mono spread? Basic facts and definitions about "the kissing disease". ...
Do you know what causes mono? Although children are more at risk than adults,what can you do to avoid getting sick from mono? Review risk factors here....
The symptoms of mono may not manifest for everyone who contracts the Epstein-Barr virus. But when are symptoms serious? And when should you seek medical help?...