I just started lifting again 4 days ago for the first time in months. I worked out my biceps mainly. Over the next 2 days, my muscles were sore as expected. However, on the 4th day, i noticed my left bicep swollen, and bigger than it was the day before. The muscle is still sore, and part of my forearm is also swollen a considerable amount. These swellings are only on my left arm, even though I used the same weight/reps/sets for each arm. Is this cause for concern? How should i treat it, and how long will it take to heal?

Thanks in advance for all help
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 3rd, 2007
Not an expert....

but...

i work out quite a bit.

I WOULD ice it and elevate it. Ice for about 20 mins to dull pain and allow blood flow to heal faster... then remember 'heat'. Heat stimulates blood flow and relaxation... when your relaxed you heal.

now i think people will prob disagree with me but.

when you start working out again... low weight high reps, your muscles are lacking endurance, strenght, and tone. Most people don't care about tone but that strenghts the fibers in the muscle making you more prone to injury. High weight and low reps is fine for football players, but for normal people it's better for your heart and body to do more reps. You will get stronger from low reps, it'll just take longer.
|

replied March 3rd, 2007
yumtacos wrote:
Not an expert....

but...

i work out quite a bit.

I WOULD ice it and elevate it. Ice for about 20 mins to dull pain and allow blood flow to heal faster... then remember 'heat'. Heat stimulates blood flow and relaxation... when your relaxed you heal.

now i think people will prob disagree with me but.

when you start working out again... low weight high reps, your muscles are lacking endurance, strenght, and tone. Most people don't care about tone but that strenghts the fibers in the muscle making you more prone to injury. High weight and low reps is fine for football players, but for normal people it's better for your heart and body to do more reps. You will get stronger from low reps, it'll just take longer.

I agree with you, however I would go to the dr. and make sure its not something really serious.
|
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....