Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Immune Disorders Forum

Polymyositis And Pregnancy? Can It Happen?

Im scared and stuck with a hard decision to make regarding my unborn child and my health. I am suffering from Polymyositis, a rare muscular disease that causes muscle weakness and pain along with lots of other symptoms. Ive been dealing with it for about the last 8 months but now im faced with a decision that could have me in a hospital bed volunterily to dispose of my unborn child. That hurts to say that but thats what I will have to do if I dont find some answers.

I am taking Prednisone and Azathioprine. Azathioprine is known for causing birth defects to the fetus. So I have stopped taking that. i have been sore and weak since. How can I last 9 more months with out it? Is it likely that the meds already in my system will affect the baby. Im at least a month pregnant and I need to make a decision fast.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 14th, 2008
Doctor
During the first 3-4 weeks of pregnancy there is a role: "everything or nothing" which means the embryo will be either destroyed or won't be harm at all. Later, Azathioprine can cause severe damages that can cause miscarry, intrauterine death or birth defects. Azathioprine is eliminated from the body very fast.
Prednisone is not so dangerous like Azathiporine but studies say that it can cause fetal damage in animals. Anyway if you decide to keep the baby, regular ultrasound examinations are requested during the pregnancy in order to detect any fetal defect on time and to abort the pregnancy on time.
It won't be easy to stand without medications but it is possible.
|

replied April 17th, 2008
RE: Doctors answers to my questions...
Thank you for responding although it is a bit too late. I went through with the pregnancy and about 7 months in I found out that my son was in distress and eventually was bout at 31 weeks gestation with numerous problems from Hydrops Fetalis to jaundice to heart defects. He is now almost eight months and has never been home. He is in a hospice and is trached because of chronic lung disease and with a g-tube. He has brain hemorrhages and brain damage. I am happy that he is here and thankful to God that He has allowed me the time He has with him, but on the other hand I have been tested and tried and I am tired. Physically, mentally and emotionally. My son Jayden on the other hand has been diagnosed to never walk, talk nor learn past a infant level.

Any hoo, thank you for your help.
|

User Profile
replied April 18th, 2008
Doctor
I'm sorry about your son. This destiny was expected according to the medicines you were taking and the severe disease you have been suffering from.
|
Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....