I was recently diagnosed with a temporary type of TMJ due to oral syrgery. I am not dealing with the intense discomfort I was dealing with last week and the week befor, except when I have sex, just before orgasam, I have severe sharp pain in my head. I am assuming this is due to the TMJ, but, I am going to ask anyway... Is this correct and why?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 10th, 2007
Re: Tmj And Sex
kelly malmborg wrote:
I was recently diagnosed with a temporary type of TMJ due to oral syrgery. I am not dealing with the intense discomfort I was dealing with last week and the week befor, except when I have sex, just before orgasam, I have severe sharp pain in my head. I am assuming this is due to the TMJ, but, I am going to ask anyway... Is this correct and why?

I think youre right. You may not realize it but you might be clenching your jaw right before and during orgasm.
|

replied August 6th, 2011
TMJ & Sex
The vagus nerve can be affected by TMJ. Studies have shown that women who suffer severe nerve damage in the spine still experience sexual feelings due to the vagus nerve. Therefore my theory is that sensations at one end of the vagus nerve will effect the vagus nerve at the other end (jaw). To back this up, this is found in the relationship between the vagus nerve and the heart. People who have heart problems very often experience pain in the left arm and jaw area before a heart attack: this is because the vagus nerve relates to the jaw and the heart. In the same way (and in my case), when someone has TMJ then they can experience angina.

Hope that helps!

Pete
|
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....