Hi,

I have been searching the Internet for help with my relationship with my sister. I am sure she suffers from some sort of personality disorder or something and I just don’t know what to do.

It is a long story but her behavior can be angry, cold, controlling, hurtful and then she can be nice and sweet which makes me feel guilty for being mad with her and I then suffer by questioning myself. I feel really depressed at the moment and have tried to talk to her, asking her to open up but she won’t talk about anything and prefers to just 'get over it' - shutting me out again makes me feel worse, my mind goes into over drive and I’m making myself ill with worry.

I can be more specific with examples of behaviour, but firstly is there anyone who can offer their support?

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 26th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Re: I Need Help For My Sister
smith123 wrote:
Hi,

I have been searching the Internet for help with my relationship with my sister. I am sure she suffers from some sort of personality disorder or something and I just don’t know what to do.

It is a long story but her behavior can be angry, cold, controlling, hurtful and then she can be nice and sweet which makes me feel guilty for being mad with her and I then suffer by questioning myself. I feel really depressed at the moment and have tried to talk to her, asking her to open up but she won’t talk about anything and prefers to just 'get over it' - shutting me out again makes me feel worse, my mind goes into over drive and I’m making myself ill with worry.

I can be more specific with examples of behaviour, but firstly is there anyone who can offer their support?

Thanks

It sounds like your sister does have mental health issue. Try to avoid placing blame/guilt on yourself or your sister. You did not cause her mental illness your sister did not choose to be ill. Placing blame in this situation is destructive. Instead try to focus on ways to help both of you.
Most states have hotlines, support groups, etc. that you can talk to to get help for yourselves. Even though you don't have a mental illness you will need some sort of support system in place for yourself to help you deal with the feelings of depression/anger/guilt that you have and to help you understand how to rebuild a relationship with your sister. They can also help you think of ways to talk to your sister about this and possibly convince her to get treatment for herself. Do you have any relatives that can help you with this? Anyone that you can work with to talk your sister into seeing someone. Treatment for your sister is the most important thing. You don't want to wait for an actual crisis to look for help. By then it could be too late.

*edited to add* Check your telephone book for your area's mental health hotline
|

replied February 27th, 2007
I Need Help For My Sister
You have my sympathy. If she has not been diagnosed, a mental health center or someone in the mental health field, preferably a psychiatrist would be a start. To get better, you have to be properly diagnosed. I was misdiagnosed for years. I got a reference from my friend about ebrainlabs.com I got benefit from there method and engineering. Try their service you may be benefited.

Good luck!!
|

User Profile
replied February 28th, 2007
I would try the old fashioned apology, even if her thoughts are full of delusions. Do that for now, say you really want to be her friend and then hope for her sake that you can someday get her some mental help.

People think I am always pissed off at them when in reality I just don't know how to talk to them. And I have mental illnesses.
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...