User Profile
I have been suffering from chronic headaches that seem to be tension type. I feel tightness in my neck shoulders and upper back as well as very sore trigger points. My main problem as well as having these daily headaches is I suffer from vertigo/dizziness. I do not have a spinning vertigo, it is more of a motion sensation, I feel like I am falling, tilting, swaying and sinking. The sensations can be that of what you would feel riding in an elevator that dropping feeling. I also feel very heavy headed as well as what I can only describe as brain fog! It's as if I am hungover drunk feeling without the drinking. I walk around all day with this floaty feeling. I am wondering if this is common with tension headaches or
whether or not I should be concerned? My Dr. seems to think it's all anxiety related but I question whether or not anxiety and tension headaches can cause these other head and vertigo symptoms and if I should be prussing another path.
Thank you in advance for your advice

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 15th, 2007
Headache, Migraines, Sinus Conditions Answer A2438
Vertigo is a condition where you can’t keep your body upright in balance. Without body balance, it is not possible to stand, walk, work…and do any of your normal daily activities. Vertigo can be caused by an inner ear disorder and some types of neurological disorders (cerebellum disorders, extra pyramidal disorders, spinal disorders etc.). Vertigo can be also a symptom of disorders that are not primarily neurological in nature, but can affect the nervous system: hypo- or hyper-glikemia, acute alcohol or narcotic abuse, arterial hypo- or hyper-tension, etc. A type of headache called a migraine is also accompanied by vertigo.
Given your report of no diagnosis for vertigo and normal medical examinations, your “vertigo” could be due to anxiety or stress.
You might try to stop “asking” for disease and try to accept living with that feeling. A consultation with a mental health doctor may also help.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Headache and Migraines , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.