Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

Dizziness Connected to Tmj? (Page 1)

Hi I am new here and wondering if the symptoms I have been experiencing can be TMJ related. My symptoms are as followed.. I suffer from daily tension headaches, pressure behind my eyes that makes my eyes tear but yet they feel dry. My head feels like it's in a fog like I have been drinking all day (without the drink) I get a floaty feeling in my head along with some falling, tilting and swaying sensations, motion like I am on a boat or a sinking to the ground feeling like you would get riding in an elevator. My head feels whirly at times if that makes sense.. I also have a clicking/clunking sound in my jaw, mostly in my lower jaw bone where your jaw would curve in just below my ear lobe. When placing my fingers on my TMJ joint I can here crunching and a shift in my jaw when opening and closing my mouth. I also get random ear pains they are sharp and deep, along with some crackling sounds in my ear, especially when I hear loud sounds.. I also always feel so drained and tired like I haven't slept in days. This is all causing me such great amounts of anxiety. I know I clench my teeth at times when I sleep because I wake up feeling tightness in my face and jaw and pressure in my head around my temples. Like a tension headache. My neck and shoulders down into my shoulder blades are tight and sore, and my trigger points are very painful.. My biggest complaint is this falling, swaying drunken, heavy head, brain fog feeling!! it's so hard to function a normal life feeling like this. I notice my symptoms become less when I am laying down I don't feel as dizzy and my headache's subside. But when I am standing or sitting up I feel like my neck is being pulled upward and my head is so heavy and floaty spacey.. CAN this all be TMJ related? Or am I looking down the wrong road? And are there others out there that feel as miserable as me that have TMJ? I am searching here for anyone who can give me any advice or guidance in this.. Thank You in Advance
Luvmyboxer Wink
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 22nd, 2007
10 view and no replies?? Sad Anyone??
|

replied April 15th, 2014
I have all the same symptoms but no solution which is what led me to this site. I'll pray for all of us.
|

replied February 23rd, 2007
Supporter
Hi luvmyboxer (cute name!) Don't worry. I'm working on something. Just didn't have time to finish. Smile
|

Thank You catswold I was starting to think I was alone here! Rolling Eyes
|

Supporter
Hi again,
Wow, I can't get over how well you described most of my symptoms from the last 27 years. One exception seems to be that it was definitely my jaw that was the problem because my mouth was locked and the sharp stabbing pain was directly at the jaw joint in front of my right ear. The clicking and crackling that you feel is the biggest indicator to me that you might have TMJ. What do you do to help yourself? Have you seen a doctor and/or dentist about this problem? That should be your first step.

Ear pains, fogginess, sinus problems, sore throats, dizziness, headaches, neck and shoulder pains are all unbelievably symptoms of TMJ (or TMD - temporomandibular joint dysfunction). I can only use my experience to try and make some suggestions that might help. Again, I must advise that you see a doctor and/or dentist. It might not be TMJ at all but chronic sinusitis or something along those lines. Before going to the appointment, though, I highly urge you to educate yourself as much as possible by going to support groups, message boards and general Internet surfing. There is a lot of information on the Internet (I wish it had existed when I really needed it), but be careful when comparing your situation to someone else's. Sad to say, TMJ is so very different for each of us (but sometimes so alike). What may work for me, might not work for you.

I can tell you here and now the basic instructions that most new tmj patients are usually told to help themselves -
1. Use lots of moist heat and/or ice
2. Eat only soft or liquid foods for some weeks. Stop all gum chewing.
3. Do not open your mouth wide for any reason (yawning). Be gentle to your muscles, etc.
4. See if the dentist or your doctor will prescribe either valium or xanax to take at night for a few weeks. Good sleep is essential.
5. Ibuprofen tends to be the most effective pain killer (600 to 800 mg)
6. Evaluate your posture. How you are sitting at a computer or a desk can play a very large role on the stress put on the tmjoint. Go to nismat.Org (physical therapy, tmj) for some pictures of posture problems and some good exercises to do, etc.
7. Reduce your stress anyway possible (yoga, exercise, massage).
8. If above doesn't work - ask your doctor to refer you to physical therapy with a tmj-trained therapist. Good massage therapy can be very helpful also.
9. Bite splints (but I must make this comment that bite splints are only as good as the bite splint maker. A good bite splint maker is worth his/her weight in gold).
10. No surgery. No surgery ever. Never.

I better close this as it has gotten long. Please feel free to ask any questions you might have here on ehealthforum.com or PM me or email. Education and support is so important. Please take care of yourself and let us know how you are doing.

God bless…
Carol

(Catswold and catswolds)
|

you may want to see an ENT to rule out inner ear problems as they too can cause some of the symptoms that you mention - I am unfortunate to have both so I would definitely check both out
wish you well
|

User Profile
replied February 26th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Hey
all that catswold has said is true-----i have had vertigo on account of tmd for most of my life. try rubbing the back of your ear down the jaw line. that has helped me in the past. good luck.
|

replied March 15th, 2007
Tmj
I have the exact same symptoms- for 4 months straight
Went to a TMJ dentist, had a night guard made- helped the headaches but not the dizzyness. Now the headaches are back even worse- actually constant at the base of my head on the right side. Someone said to try gingko biloba- I've tried for two days, so far, no difference- You are in NY, me too- If you find a good Dr let me know- the one's I'm seeing are starting to tell me to see a psychiatrist- not the answer I'm looking for
|

User Profile
replied March 16th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Doctor
go to www.lasvegasinstitute.com and search for a good neuromuscular dentist in your area. I havent had dizzyness since going to a neuromuscular dentist.
|

replied March 21st, 2007
Dizziness??? Surgery??? Thank God I've Found You All!!!
Hi everyone!!! I'm so excited to be here, I can barely contain myself. I've been searching high and low for something like this. Thank you for being here.
Of course, I have TMJ problems. I seem to have gone a little beyond the "normal" treatment options. I now have "mandibular condylar hyperplasia with resultant malocclusion"...Yep, I'm a mess. To make a long story short, I'm scheduled for a total joint replacement in about a month. I'm terrified. Of all of the other symptoms I've been having, headaches, neckaches, dibilitating ear pain, sleepless nights, etc, etc, I can't believe I didn't even relate my recent severe bouts of vertigo to this!!!!! Rolling Eyes Thank you Luvmyboxer!!
I've been doing all kinds of research to see if there are other options. I currently am working on getting a second opinion, but dang it ain't easy. My most recent research is showing that maybe I don't have a choice. I thought that maybe rebuilding would work. But that seems to have its own set of problems. I am one of the very lucky ones, in that, currently, I have no pain! I have a great dentist who made a beautiful splint for me which literally saved my sanity! Problem is, my condylar is extremely large and will continue to grow. It doesn't even sit in my tmj anymore...it doesn't fit. Basically all that's holding it in are my muscles.
I really just wanted to get in here and introduce myself and again Thank You for being here!!!!
|

replied March 22nd, 2007
Supporter
Hi MustangSally,
I'm sorry to read about your problems. I have never heard of this problem. Interesting. I'm glad to hear that you are getting more opinions. I understand the need for a joint replacement for you but if you are not in pain and can function, I think I would have off the surgery for as long as you can because I don't think those replacements are supposed to last your entire life-time. Meaning you will have to have future surgeries maybe. I don't want to scare you. Your dentist sounds great and if the bite splint can keep away the surgery that's even greater.

I am glad that you found us. Since you are so unique, I would love to follow your story. What else do you do to keep the joint functioning and pain-free? Love to hear from you...

God bless...
Carol
|

replied March 22nd, 2007
Carol,
Thank you so much for your well wishes.
I know what you mean about putting off the surgery. I've been seriously mulling that over. I am completely pain free. I still have headaches, but they occur much less than they used to. I really don't need to do much else to stay pain free now. I faithfully wear the splint. My bite has changed so much that not having it in feels very uncomfortable, not necessarily painful, but uncomfortable. The teeth on the right side of my mouth, from about my canine tooth back do not touch at all. The splint is configured to close my bite up. If I leave it out overnight or for a couple of days, I will get sore. I won't leave it out any more than that because the thought of feeling as I did before is a horrid one!
The doctors say I should not put it off. It is still growing. I also think they are anxious to get it out of there and figure out what is making it grow. They are sending it away for biopsy after the surgery. I feel in my gut that the growth is simply due to the pounding its been taken for years and years when I did nothing about it. But I guess I'm too nervous to completely trust my gut.
I'm hoping to get my second opinion by next week.
Gosh I'm sorry I keep rambling....its just that I've never been able to talk to anyone who really understands. It feels really really good Very Happy
|

replied May 13th, 2007
Mouth Splint
Hi Folks,

i have been suffering from TMJ and all the symptoms that "luvmyboxer" mentioned I have also.

I am actually going to the dentist today to get an NTI-TSS mouth/tooth thing which the dentist assures me will sort me out once and for all!

look it up on google. It actually looks quite convincing. But it costs a small fortune. 620.00NZD I'm paying for it.

I used to have a rubber tooth/splint but it didnt take long for me to bite right through it and it never worked anyway.

I hope this new things clears my Jaw, gets rid of my "drunken fogginess" and lets me sleep better.

I will post again in a few days to let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Murray
www.murraydouglas.com
|

replied May 13th, 2007
Supporter
Hi Dauntless111,
That does seem to be a bit expensive for me also. The NTI is just a small little thing too. Make sure that it is adjusted and that you are allowed to go back as much as needed for adjustments. I have an NTI but don't wear it because it didn't make my bite feel stable enough; like a rocker. I have heard of people having problems with it, but someone always has a problem with something. You have to try for yourself.

By the way, rubber bite splints are not really very good for you. Biting through it is one big problem, but it is also not good on the jaw joint and teeth. I wear a harder bite splint. It's hard for me to describe the material as it is acrylic but yet has some softness to it. How, I don't know.

I hope you will come back and say how you are getting along. I loved your photos. New Zealand is beautiful.

God bless...
Carol
|

replied May 13th, 2007
Re: Dizziness Connected to Tmj?
luvmyboxer wrote:
Hi I am new here and wondering if the symptoms I have been experiencing can be TMJ related.

pressure behind my eyes, I get a floaty feeling in my head along with some falling, tilting and swaying sensations, head feels whirly at times, When placing my fingers on my TMJ joint I can here crunching and a shift in my jaw when opening and closing my mouth. I also get random ear pains not really sharp though, along with some crackling sounds in my ear when i put my ear on the pillow.

Above are the same symptoms I have with you! It's not everyday but I get it sometimes. Now that catswold mentioned, it could be either TMJ or sinusitis right? Crying or Very sad
|

User Profile
replied May 14th, 2007
Experienced User
Re: Dizziness Connected to Tmj?
Yes dizziness, that was my latest symptom along with all the pain in my jaw and neck. If I tilted my head back I got really dizzy. I got my LVI othotic put in and the dizziness is pretty much gone. My pain is lessened to a degree also, I still have pain flare-ups when the weather changes but my docs think that is some kind of arthritic problem. By changing my bite my dentist has already decreased symptoms and stopped the progression of the symptoms, thankfully.
|

User Profile
replied May 14th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Hey
neuromuscular is a life saver with dizziness. It releives the pressure on the eustation tube and equalizes the pressure between the inner and outer ear. go find a neuromuscular dentist and it will all go away
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied May 15th, 2007
Myohealth
Hi everyone, I thought I was getting an NTI but I got a Myohealth Clenching Inhibitor.... MCI

Quite uncomfy but I have only been wearing it for 2 nights so far. Its definetly stops pressure on the jaw so much... Ill keep you posted!
|

User Profile
replied May 16th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Hey
good luck with it and do keep us posted.
|

replied June 10th, 2007
Clenching Inhibitor
Sad

Well the MCI things does stop the clenching and I got used to it easily enough but I still have my fogginess, cant focus properly, eyes glaze over when I am in a conversation for more than a few minutes....

Someone out there must have the answer. More sleep? more exercise? drugs? I just want to open my head and give my mind a good wipe with a cloth....

I need clarity!!!
|