Medical Questions > Nutrition > Nutrition Forum

Genetically Modified Food

Go to a good search engine and type something like "dangers of gm foods". There are a lot of genetically modified foods already in our food supply in the us. You will find some frightening information. One thing I read in my book, optimum nutrition for optimal health, by Dr. Tom levy, is that synthetic growth hormones given to cows end up in the milk we drink. He wrote that if you asked most tall people, you'd find that they've drunk a lot of milk. I happen to be very tall and I used to drink plenty of milk while growing up. I don't drink any now, not only because of the hormones, but because pasteurization and homogenization damage the milk. Raw milk is good for you, but not the processed stuff.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 18th, 2007
Experienced User
Be carefull, just because something appears to casue something doesnt mean it necessarily does. Milk is full with calcium, throughout development, calcium is resposible for bone growth. You tend to find asians dont consume as much milk necessary compared to the western world and that is why they are generaly smaller on average.
|

replied June 23rd, 2009
GMO's
After extensive research on this subject, I have come to the conclusion that GMO's are responsible for a large number of diseases and health problems. A GMO is a genitically modified organism. Meaning that it has been altered from the state that it was originally intended for the needs of our bodies. The original wheat only had 5% gluten, it has been altered so much over the course of time, it is now 55% gluten. It is no wonder that so many of us are now wheat/gluten sensitive and/or allergic. Some people and children are so allergic that it causes autism like symptoms, hearing loss, and sleep apnea. Others develop celiac disease and are not able to absorb the nutrients from food. As for the milk debate above...Americans are just about the only people who consume milk after infancy. We switched from goat milk to cow milk a little over 100 years ago. There are many dangers to drinking something that is intended to turn an 80 pound calf into a 300 pound cow in 6 months. Think about it....We are not cows. This is linked to the American obesity problem. Raw milk is the healthiest..goat milk is the best, for it is closer to our own DNA. In response to Matt182...there are numerous other ways to obtain calcium other than milk. It is better to get your nutrients the way that nature intended. Through plants and non-enriched foods. Enriched, processed foods are not healthy. In wheat, enriched means taking the wheat grain, taking it apart, taking out anything that may be good for our bodies, and giving us the most fattening part of the grain along with only a portion of the hull, and then adding iron, and other vitamins that will not be absorbed by our bodies because we are lacking the "whole" part of the food. By eating these types of foods we are starving for nutrients that keep our bodies healthy, in turn causing diseases and hundreds of other problems. Eat healthy, Non-GMO, whole foods....stay healthy.
|

replied January 31st, 2013
Researchers found new viral gene called "Gene VI" in GMO foods and it causes health disorders. Last year, a report says cancer tumors were found in rats that exclusively eat GMO corns. Every new report is coming up with new issue. Scientists raised their voice and demanding governments to stop selling GMO foods. I would like to share some shocking facts about GMO foods
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....