Hello all Smile

i was curious, if anyone had any suggestions for encouraging a child to talk? My nephew is quiet stubborn.. Will be 2 in july. His name is landen-- he's so much fun! He'll say a word here, and there. And he had tubes put in his ears about 2 months ago.

He just started going to a little class- with about 5-6 other toddlers from his age to about 4. This is helping- but I was wondering if there's anything I can do when I am babysitting him?

Thanks for any info!

-=red=-
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 16th, 2007
Experienced User
My advice is to interact with him as much as possible..........Don't use the t.V. As a substitute babysitter..................That is.........If your gonna sit down and watch his program with him ask him questions ......."what's that?"..............."what's he/she doing?"..........If he doesn't answer...........Answer yourself in an animated voice...........Keep the language simple and to the point...................And listen, don't overtalk him and give him a chance to respond..................Often with first children(?) we parents and relatives are not intune with what the child is saying..............Often they are talking and replying to us..............But coz we're not used to it .........It sounds like gibberish................I look back now at old family movies and can hear clearly that my kids were talking when I thought they were just "whining" etc..............Find out what the little guy likes and build on that.......................And whatever he says whether understandable or not.............Repeat it................A form of communication.................You repeat what he says and he may soon repeat what you say....................Good luck Smile
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....