Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > Health Insurance Forum

Declined Because of Chiari...why Can't It Be P Ridered Out?

My husband had a very mild level 1 chiari malformation that happened to show up on an mri back in 1999 because of a car accident. It is merely congenital and has never caused him any problems. I brought it to the attention of the underwriting dept just inn case it happened to show up on his mib records. To our dismay, he was automatically declined by golden rule for health insurance because of this condition. We do not understand why this condition cannot be evaluated on an individual basis as there are different degrees of chiari's. Are there any insurance companies that would be willing/able to permanently rider the chiari out and offer a high-deductible individual plan?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 14th, 2007
Every state is different. Which state do you live in? Every insurance company has different underwriting guidelines as well. Sometimes it is easier to contact a good agency in your state and ask them to call various insurers to find out which would consider your case. I think that you have a good chance to get him insured given the situation.
|

replied February 15th, 2007
Insurance Declined Because of Chiari
Thanks. I have found out that assurant (time insurance) has underwriters that will look at each case on an individual basis. Golden rule, obviously, has robot-like underwriters who "go by the book" and are too lazy to research an individual case further. Their loss, because my husband is very healthy and I am going to cancel the policy they just issued to me and my daughter. Kudos to assurant (private healthcare network of providers). For anyone looking for a good insurance company, I highly suggest applying with them first before wasting time with other "behind-the-times" insurance companies. Just make sure that you get a complete medical history and completely disclose all conditions that each family member has had. Unlike many other companies, assurant will only go back 5 years for the underwriting process.
|

replied February 28th, 2007
Rejected by insurance
I also have a medical condition and was practically rejected by every type of insurance company. However, I had a very nice insurance agent named Gigi, who helped me apply to every type of insurance company till I was finally accepted by Aetna.

According to her, Aetna is the most lenient health insurance company in accepting clients with pre-existing conditions. then it is Blue Cross, Kaiser, Blue Shield and then Health Net.

I also heard from a friend that if you have group health insurance, it doesn't matter what medical conditions you have, you will be covered. Maybe he can see if his company offers health insurance.

then there is also Major Risk Programs, Cobra, and Hipaa plans.
|