Medical Questions > Nutrition > Nutrition Forum

Coconut Oil --daily Basis??--

Hi everyone, i'm new here....Glad to have found you!
I have been reading up on coconut oil and decided to try it. I actually like the 'tropical' taste and I add it to my oatmeal. I don't use alot of butter but have used the coconut oil in place of it.
I have also tried it on my hair (curly- waist length) and on my skin...'love it.
I understand that there is controversy over coconut oil being a healthy addition to a diet. (saturated fats)
has anyone had any negative effects from using it for an extended period of time?? Ie: high cholesterol ??
I'm only 28, very active, clean diet (in comparison to most western diets) Laughing
i'm curious to take it for a few months and have my doctor check my cholesterol. Hmmmmm
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 14th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I'm 28 too and use coconut oil. I've also put it in my curly, waist length hair, and used it as lotion. I also have a pretty good diet, compared to most western diets. Processed foods taste like crap to me now.

While it is controversial, here's what I believe...
Coconut oil is a healthy fat...The hydrogenated oils are the ones you have to look out for. If you are buying non-hydrogenated, organic coconut oil you are doing the best you can for yourself. I read somewhere that the best coconut oil for your health is "extra virgin" as it is basically raw and unprocessed.

I have used it since last summer, and have not had any adverse health effects. I also use extra virgin olive oil in my cooking, as well.
|

replied February 15th, 2007
Coconut oil is wonderful, it is the only oil I cook with and I sometimes take it neat, it really revs up the metabolism. The nutritionists panic about coconut oil being bad because they equate a solid fat with animal fat and bad for you (not true for either). Coconut oil only resembles a saturated fat, it is in fact only a medium chain fat that happens to be solid at non tropical room temperature or refridgerated. It is cholesterol free, not that that is of any real concern as it is proved that dietary cholesterol has no impact on blood levels, and it contains so many health giving benefits it would take another page to list them. You are doing right by taking the coconut oil both inside and outside and I would recommend that you keep on taking it. And don't give up the butter, that is by far a better choice than the manmade poisons that pass as margarines.
|

replied April 7th, 2007
I have just started to use coconut oil in an effort to lose some weight . I have been taking 2 tablespoons a day for about a week now and have lost about 4 pounds , so i am hoping that this trend continues. Wink
|
Tags: Nutrition, Diet, skin, add
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....