Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Brown discharge: UTI or yeast infection?

Must Read
Yeast infection and candida albicans basics - we review causes and risk factors. Start learning how to fight yeast infections by clicking here....
Yeast infections affect warm, moist parts of the body. Learn the signs and symptoms of yeast infections as they appear on the skin, oral and genital areas....
User Profile
i just got on the birth control on Feb 24. A week later i had intercourse with my fiancee without a condom. As days passed i began experiencing a brownish discharge. I still have it and it doesn't seem to go away. What does this mean. I know i still have the UTI because im still experiencing the symptoms and prior to that i had a yeast infection. But ive taken the antibiotics and they seem to be helping slowly. Could this be the aftermath of a yeast infection or a UTI? What does this mean help? How long will this last for?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile

User Profile
replied February 23rd, 2007
Sexual Health - Women Answer A2372
Urinary tract infections (UTI) are more common in women than in men because women have shorter urethras that are closer to the genital tract. Ciprofloxacin is often used for treating UTIs. But large spectral antibiotics like ciprofloxacin can cause vaginal yeast infections in women. An acute vaginal yeast infection manifests with severe genital itching, painful urination and whitish vaginal discharge.

The brown discharge you notice might originate from the uterus and could be blood. Irregular bleeding from the uterus is a expected temporary side effect after coming off the birth control pills.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexual Health - Women , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.