Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

Tmj's Ruined My Looks!!! (Page 1)

Ever since i've had tmj the past 4 years i've noticed that it's messed up my looks. I used to be really good looking but not anymore. I have tmj as well as myofascial pain.

All the muscles in my face get inflamed and it makes my face look puffy

not only that, but the bones in my face have gotten much larger too. My jaw's become so large now and it's assymetrical too. Not only my jaw, the other bones in my face too.

I also get tension headeaches, and i've noticed that my skull has gotten and forehead's gotten bigger too.

Same with my nose. I have pain around my nose as well. My nose has gotten bigger too!

Why why why!!!!

How come doctors don't talk about the disfiguring effects of tmj? I've talked to others with tmj and they've also noticed changes as well.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Surfer883
|

replied February 13th, 2007
Experienced User
I'm so sorry to read about your problem surfer883. I really had not ever heard of tmj disfiguring its victims (except surgery). The only change in my face that i've noticed is that i'm sadder looking I think. I don't know enough about myofacial pain to know what it can do (except hurt of course).

What are you doing to combat this nightmare of tmj? What kinds of treatments? I saw a picture recently of someone who underwent surgery for her tmj and I was surprised at how invasive it looked. I personally don't believe there is a surgery that can "fix" tmj.

I'd love to here your story if you feel up to it. Sometimes it helps to write everything out (and sometimes it's just too painful). I just had some dental work done on one of my eyeteeth and it appears to have changed my bite surprisingly. I have an overbite and never really thought my front teeth (including the eyeteeth) touched and had anything to do with my bite. My tmj has relaxed after a flare-up that lasted 3 days, but I have an appointment tomorrow with my tmj dentist to see what can be done. He has adjusted (just a little) my bite before and it was great! Always be careful, though, if you have your teeth filed.

Sorry I got going there. I hope and pray that you are getting good help in "fixing" your tmj and the resultant disfigurement. Take care and...

God bless...
Carol
|

replied October 5th, 2009
It does cause disfigurement when it gets bad. you will lose height of your face and your chin recedes. I have noticed big changes in my face. I have constant seering pain. I have bone on bone that has ankylosed( fused joints) My jaw opening is getting smaller and smaller and is now 10 mil.
shelly
|

replied November 7th, 2009
I am a dentist who had training in Gnathology. I am very sorry to hear that you are suffering from TMJ disorder. Asymmetry of your face can be caused by resorption of a condyle that causes shortening of the affected side of lower jaw. Headache is caused by facial muscle tension which is another manifestation of TMJ disorder. TMJ disorder is mostly caused by bad bite. Surgery is not and should not be an option because it does not yield long term stability and success. FOSA therapy, a diagnostic tool, can be utilized to verify TMJ symptoms are indeed caused by bad bite. It is a reversible treatment and very effective in alleviating many TMJ symptoms.
|

replied November 7th, 2009
Dr. Han, That is what caused my issue for starters(having bite fixed) I had a osteotomy(sp) to correct an open bite along with braces and everything went down hill from there. My bite has been perfect since then but the problem is after this my joints did not like the position and they fused together. I had no tmj issues prior to this. After surgery # 1 I developed severe pain in the joints with constant migraines. I let a doctor do open joint surgery x 4 and then the last surgery in 1992 the removed disks and put in fashia grafts. I became worse after each surgery and now at the age of 43 I have a very poor life with chronic pain. If I could go back I wished I would have done nothing.
|

replied November 8th, 2009
Combination of orthognathic surgery and orthodontics does not guarantee bite correction. The bite may appear to be correct in naked eyes;however, the only way to identify your true bite is to relate your upper and lower jaws with both condyles fully seated in the fossae, meaning that ball ends of lower jaw must be seated in the sockets of upper jaw. The fact that you had pain after surgery with braces indicates to me that your bite was not really corrected, possibly. Also, your joints did not like the new position tells me that your bite was probably not in physiologically correct position. Patients usually experience TMJ symptoms sometime after the completion of orthodontic treatment. There still is hope. FOSA therapy can alter your bite temporarily into the correct position and can alleviate your pain. Dr. Han
|

replied November 8th, 2009
Dr. Han,
What kind of things are done to correct this?
If the joints have bony ankolosis and are fused can things still be corrected? I have no side to side movement and also a great deal of excess bone in the joints. There are no discs whatsoever. The jaw opening is not due to muscle issues but ankolosis. I have been told for years that a total joint needs to be done and I have been to afraid to let anyone touch me. I see my regular dentist for cleaning every 3 months so I dont have any issues but as far as having tmd treated all I have done is accupuncture and Mscontin since 1993 for pain.
|

replied November 9th, 2009
Shelly:
It is very difficult to diagnosis without evaluating your dental history and other diagnostic work ups. However, FOSA therapy can alter the bite and allow your body to heal or your joints to remodel. It is a conservative treatment that is extremely effective. I definitely do not recommend any joint surgery.
|

replied November 10th, 2009
Surfer883 I know exactly how you feel my face is swollen on one side and before my jaw got stuck the bone on the left side of my face was very prominent when i opened my mouth.

There's not much you can do for the swelling i've found. Sad
|

replied November 19th, 2009
Yesterday on The Doctor's TV show there was a lady on there with severe TMJ. She had so much pain and her face had become swollen,etc. The Dr. gave her shots of Botox on the side of her jaw and she said her face is back to normal with no pain. This treatment lasts about 3 months and you must redo it but he said as the Botox relaxes your jaw and you no longer clench it, you may not need to have the injections any longer. He said it is caused mostly from teeth clenching and grinding.
|

replied May 27th, 2010
TMJ?Chiropractor
Have you guys' tried a good chiropractor,this way they will be able to reset the bones back in alignement for you,I will be seeing a new one on 6-1-2010..I really hope and pray she willl be the Angel to my prayer's..If you need more information on the outcome please write me.
I will try to give you as much info.as I can.people just DO NOT realized the pain you suffer from tmj

May God continue to watchover us everyday......
|
Users who thank healthcare689 for this post: tension58 

replied June 4th, 2010
TMJ
I'm here in Arlington Texas,but I travel to Dallas Texas to see my doctor please keep me inform,the question about tmj it is an underlying problem,this is not to be resolve with just pain medicine

You must find the root of the problem first,then treat if possible have teeth work done

Thank you
Hope this helps....
|

replied June 25th, 2010
wow i'm having exactly the same problem.. when my jaw gets tight and painful my face gets all bloated up and ugly. it gets a little better when my jaws are relaxed, but i've noticed my skull bones have grown. i used to have a small kid face, now i've got a big ugly one.. WHY WHY WHY
|

replied June 28th, 2010
I've had tmj for a little over 3 months. Hit me hard and fast; constant pain, dull pain all the time & sharp, intense pain irratically. I've been to two medical docs, my dentist & oral surgeon. Muscle relaxers & pain pills; suggested to go to pain management. healthcare689, how did your June chiro visit go?
|

replied July 2nd, 2010
I have noticed disfigurment as well of my jaw and my lower part of my face. Can botox fix this?
|

replied July 2nd, 2010
I have noticed disfigurment as well of my jaw and my lower part of my face. Can botox fix this?
|

replied July 9th, 2010
TMJ adjustment
To Tension 58: the adjustment was good..She has very strong hands let me give you her name and give her a call

972) 392-9402-Dr.Erin Stark

6029 Belt Line Rd Ste 130 (Preston Road)
Dallas, TX 75254 32.953741 -96.802475

Hope this helps!
|

replied September 25th, 2011
tmj
I have had tmj for a while now. it was mainly because i was really stupid and opened my mouth too wide. nothing really happened till recently apart from clicking jaw. i saw my face changing in days. this was happening for 3 months. from puffy cheeks to no chin and everything. what i have come to realize is and hopefully it works for u too. it is probably because of the position of ur tongue. mite sound a bit weird. but this was what it was for me. dont exert pressure from ur tongue to any part inside ur mouth. keep ur tongue really relaxed, also your whole jaw. like keeping all muscles relaxed it mite pain a bit i dont really know, it did a bit for me. the tongue probably in mid air. the correct position, u will figure out yourself. ( ideally the position of the tongue is, JUST ur TIP of the tongue behind ur upper two teeth, on the bone just behind them, its called t point i think. but dont exert any pressure other wise ur cheeks start to puff up. the key thing being keeping ur face the natural way, all the little muscles relaxed with no pressure. hope it helps and u have all the luck possible
|

replied September 30th, 2011
yep, I've seen my eyes grow smaller. One is actually smaller than the other. Or at least its difficult to keep them both open as wide.
|

replied October 4th, 2011
Experienced User
qpwoei has a good point about daytime relaxation of your lower jaw. There are a lot of other non-invasive things (see youtube for masseter massage) you can do for relief, like exercise more, stress reduction, soft diet and anti-inflammatories for flare-upsm, making your dentist use a child size bite guard to keep you relaxed during work, etc., etc.

I got every configuration of Botox you can, for headaches and TMD, and it's a bad thing to do. It's off-label, not approved by the FDA, gives temporary relief at best, and permanent damage at worst. Not to mention having your face fall after enough atrophy! Better to use a short course of muscle relaxants (with a doctor making sure you don't have apnea first), and even that is neither a cure nor a long term treatment.

It is NOT true that malocclusion is the biggest cause of TMjoint area pain, btw. TMD, whether grinding bruxism or silent clenching needs to be ruled out. Use something non-invasive and double-blind proven for diagnosis. I used Grindcare, FDA approved and now available, because it has an effective treatment mode that spits out a graph in the AM on bruxing or not, and how much.

So, you can finally know for sure if TMD is the problem, and with ipod-sized EMG, know if the treatment is working. Rent if you can, instead of buying, because I have had a couple of migraineur friends rush to buy something for what they ASSUMED was bruxing, only to get proof that they are not bruxers. Also, we all brux occasionally, so you want to treat only chronic bruxing, called TMD, with EMG and feedback.

I spent years drugged semi-conscious (frankly dying) to avoid migraine like (not migraine) headaches, muscle spasms, referred pain, spastic colon, and more). And that was after I got oroplasties, TMjoint flush surgery, all kinds of dental appliances (despite a perfect bite), and a bzillion other treatments like sacral cranial massage, accupuncture, etc.

Within a few months of EMG and feedback, I stopped having to drug myself semi conscious and now have good days each week. I got my TMD from many injuries (sports and cars) and untreated chronic pain after I broke my neck. I've gone from many hundreds of bruxism clenches a night to hardly any, and the double blind studies don't lie about how great it is to get restorative sleep again.

It's nice to have proof in the trend charts my EMG spits out, and doctors no longer recommend me to take unlimited pain meds or treat me as a malingerer or a migraineur or a hot potato.
|
Quick Reply