Medical Questions > Parenting > Newborn Babies Forum

Baby constipation and stool frequency

User Profile
I have a 2 week week old newborn who is bottle fed (Similac Advanced). She has been constipated now for almost more than a week. The doctor said to use glycerine suppositories. I try these and my baby pushes them out to try a BM every time I insert one. Her stools are hard and pellet like. Is over a week to long to have constipation and be using the suppositories? Is there anything else I can do. The doctor did not tell me how long or what to do if this does not work. Please help, she is becoming fussier with each day that goes by and cries whenever she has to have a BM.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 23rd, 2007
Caring for Your Newborn Answer A2358
The frequency of bowel movements varies widely from one baby to another. Many babies pass a stool soon after each feeding. This is a result of the gastrocolic reflex, which causes the digestive system to become active whenever the stomach is filled with food.
By 3 to 6 weeks of age, some breastfed babies have only one bowel movement a week and still are normal. This happens because breastmilk leaves very little solid waste to be eliminated from the child's digestive system. Thus, infrequent stools are not a sign of constipation and should not be considered a problem as long as the stools are soft (no firmer than peanut butter). Infrequent stools shuold not be considered a problem if your infant is otherwise normal, gaining weight steadily and nursing regularly, too.
If your baby is formula (bottle)-fed, she should have at least one bowel movement a day. If she has fewer than this and appears to be straining because of hard stools, she may be constipated. You can check with your pediatrician for advice on how to handle this problem.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Newborn Babies , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.