Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

How can I change my menstrual cycle?

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
I am going on vacation soon , my cycle runs when the vacation begins, we will be scuba diving and doing other related water activities. Is there a way to change my cycle so that it does not interfere with my vacation. I can't use tampons they create pain for me.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile

User Profile
replied February 12th, 2007
Sexual Health - Women Answer A2323
You can change your cycle by using hormonal contraception, better known as birth control pills. To change the date you will bleed, you can start taking the birth control pills before you get your period, although it is not recommended for protecting against an unwanted pregnancy. Menstruation is due to decreased evels of the hormones estrogen and progesterone in the blood. Those hormones are produced by the yellow body in the ovaries. The yellow body persists for about 14 days. When the yellow body disappears, the hormone levels drop and menstruation occurs. If you take hormones orally, the drop in the hormone levels is prevented. The next menstruation, or period,will be delayed until you stop taking the pills. This artificial period delay using hormones shouldn’t be done very often because it messes up the cycle and can cause unexpected uterine bleeding.
You must consult your gynecologist before doing this!!!

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexual Health - Women , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.