User Profile
I had the stomach flu twice back in late nov/early dec. Of 2006. After this I slowly began to see some blood in my stool. I figured it was simply a small tear in my anus or something from not having any food in me and then having food in me. But over the last 2-3 weeks I have noticed more and more blood in my stool and in the potty(sorry, I work with small kids) when I have a bm. Could this simply be that I need more fiber? I am a vegitarian... Or could it be something much worse like hemroids or colon cancer? Is it worth going to the health center at my school? I am really private about stuff and I dont want to go to the health center if this is something I can fix myself...

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 12th, 2007
Digestive & Bowel Disorders Answer A2302
Blood in the stool is not something that you can fix yourself. Blood in the stool (rectorrhagia) should be taken very seriously and you have to visit your doctor as soon as possible. Bleeding hemorrhoids are the most common reason for rectorrhagia. Nonetheless, there are some more serious causes for rectorrhagia (colon tumors and inflammations) that have to first be excluded with diagnostic procedures. A physical examination, abdominal ultrasound scan, blood laboratory analyses and colonoscopy can be done. Your diet probably has nothing to do with blood in the stool.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.