Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

a Little Advice Needed

Hi,

im after a little advice...But first a brief outline....Basically ive suffered anxiety most my life and suffered panic attacks before and during anything tha involves any sort of commitment, this worsened when I moved to london after uni. However, during my 'panic attacks' I suffered this awful depression and dare I say 'worrying' thoughts. I used to think that this depression was a product of my panic attacks, however after a year of this I think I now realise my panic attacks are actually a product of my depression. Does anyone else feel 'normal' during parts of the day then depression justs creeps into your mind and you cant stop rumminating about it? I find if I have things that keep my attention I can forget about it....Finally, my point, after fearing anti-depressent medication..Sorry still fearing medication because of these stories you hear....Do they actually work. Im abit fearful they will make me worse and bring more problems.

Your comments would be grateful

many thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 4th, 2007
Experienced User
..................... :d
|

Experienced User
Panic Attacks And Depression
Let me tell you. A few years ago, my husband and I had a car accident with a motorcycle. They say it was our fault, but we did not see the motorcycle when we were pulling out. That night all I could do was have nightmares of a helmet hitting our car. I developed post-traumatic stress disorder and I could not get into a car or drive without panicking. I went to a pych doctor which sent me to a therapist. For one year I was on paxil and was on therapy. I couldn't go out into stores without panicking. But I got over it and have not had a problem with depression or panic attacks. I has been at least 7 years. As long as you are seeing a doctor and he is monitoring you, you will be okay. I must tell you that I had an episode once and the therapist sent me to the hospital pych ward so they could regulate my meds. It wasn't bad at all. I survived. Everyone gets depressed some time in their life. There is nothing to be ashamed with. Good luck and god bless. You will get thru it, I promise. You just have to work at it. Wink
|

Thanks
Many thanks for your replies....Ive got an appointment to see my doctor on tues, so will prob get some meds then. After taking ciprimil for 10 days and qutting then been given paxil and never opening the box, I think im ready just to start taking anti-depressents.

Does anyone find that they interfere with your social life? My understanding is to avoid alcohol, but people have told me they liked a certain med as they could still drink with it. After depression and gad affecting my social life I dont want this to make affect it more. Any opinions?

Thanks
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Hi meek. You have to be ready to take meds. I'm the type of person who if in a situationl struggle (girlfriend, family problems, schoo/work problems) I dont do good on them. I go into cycles of taking them then not taking them.

Meds can interfere with your social life but for the better. First yea you should drink...Which is a good thing. This teaches you diciplin which many dont have, go out with friends and dont drink..Drink coke and just enjoy the conversations.

In the long run you will be very very thankfull for meds if you "need" them. Give it a try, never hesitate to talk to you Dr. And I dont think you should get on meds without seeing a psycholosits...Tahts a big no no.

People dont understand that you cant just be on medication and try to see if they work for you...You need a profesional to track your behaviour while undergoing medical treatment...So keep at it things will turn up ^_^
|

User Profile
replied February 5th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Re: a Little Advice Needed
meek wrote:
however, during my 'panic attacks' I suffered this awful depression and dare I say 'worrying' thoughts. I used to think that this depression was a product of my panic attacks, however after a year of this I think I now realise my panic attacks are actually a product of my depression. Does anyone else feel 'normal' during parts of the day then depression justs creeps into your mind and you cant stop rumminating about it? (...)

first of all, welcome to the forum.
A close friend of mine suffers from panic attacks, just like you described. She sees a psychologist once in a while and she does not take medication, because she, just like you mentioned, recognises it will make her worse and addicted.
She tried to live the best she can knowing she can have a panic attack at any moment...
As for myself, sometimes I have some panic attacks as weel, but not as big as my friend's. They are due to other problems I have, so as long as I can control the other problems, I know it's not likely to have a fear or even panic attack.
I guess this wasn't pretty much for an advice, but it's just for you to know that having panic attacks is not that strange.
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....