Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

Vulvar Biopsy - Need Info *please*!

My doc just scheduled me for a biopsy with a gyn, but was very close-lipped with the info (no pun intended!). I'm not sure if *she* was uninformed, didn't want to worry me, or was just uncooperative but I function much better with information! I have had chronic itching and pain for over a year and have been treated for chronic yeast infections. I still have the itching and pain though even when the yeast is cleared up. Several months ago I developed what looked like cracks in the skin from the bottom of my pubic hair to about halfway down the length of my labia. It sometimes bleeds and always hurts. The doc first gave me a cortico-steriod cream (temovate) which I used for 2 weeks and some redness and puffiness have gone away, but not the cracks or pain. Now i'm scheduled for a biopsy. Does this sound like the next step? Could this be vulvar cancer? (i have a history of severe dysplasia on my cervix...) I will go for the biopsy no matter what, but my (soon to be ex-)doc made it sound like it was my fault and I must not be keeping myself clean! Any answers, comments, info would be *greatly* appreciated. I just want to feel more prepared. Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper nethingpurple
|

replied January 7th, 2005
I'm having a biobsy done in a couple of weeks. I have discoloration on my outer labia's. I'm very itchy and sore also. The gyno isn't saying that it could be cancer, yet he still wants to do the biopsy. I'm terrified ofcorse. Let us no when you find out. Good luck!
|

replied August 9th, 2005
Hello -
i have something that sounds sort of similar to the last two women who wrote in. On and off in the past 4-5 months?, I have a red, soreness between the lips of my labia. There was once when it bleed a bit but generally it is just painful. It doesn't seem to have any link to anything - sometimes it happens when I have sex, sometimes not, sometimes around my period - sometimes not.
As one other woman mentioned, its cracks in the skin but mine is much smaller. From the bottom of the lips of my labia to about halfway down the length of my labia. It always hurts. My gyne wants me to take a vulvar biopsy.
I think she thinks i'm a bit of a hypocondriac (sp?) but it just comes & goes without much warning. She said to wait until it happens again and then come in for the biopsy.
This is so very frustrating & upseting.
Anyone have any ideas?
|

replied November 27th, 2009
I have had a biopsy today and have experienced similar symptoms - my tests are to confirm if I have Lichen Sclerosus so you may find it useful to google this. I have had a couple of stitches and as yet have not had any pain since the biopsy, however, my consultant has told me to take two weeks off work.
|

replied February 16th, 2010
Lichen Scelrosus et atrophicus
I have Lichen Sclerosus et atrophicus. Your symptoms sound similar to LSA not cancer. A biopsy is needed in order to confirm a diagnosis of LSA. (FYI LSA is not your fault or caused by not taking care of yourself). While LSA is a lifelong disease (and a horrible pain in the ass at times) it is manageable the itchy and burning are the firs things to go once it is under control. I have actually had it since I was 5 and I can tell you sometimes yes, it greatly impacts my life and then I can go years where I don't even notice. My advice, get a gyn who is experienced and specializes in vulvar health not an ordinary gyn - they have a lot more resources and knowledge about the proper treatment, maintenance and co-occurring disorders.

I have had the biopsy and it is painless. The doctor should apply numbing lotion and then inject a pain killer(I didn't even feel the injection). Then a hole punch type thing takes the sample (again I did not fee this). After the biopsy was finished I was sore and uncomfortable but it's not severe. Actually, the whole process is a lot less scary that it sounds.
|

replied April 27th, 2010
captkit,
thank you for your biopsy experience. i just had my annual exam today and my doctor is having me come back in a few weeks for a vulva biopsy. i thought she was looking around quite a bit more than usual today-lol. she found a few small spots on the left side only that she doesn''t remember seeing last year. i have had no symptoms and the only time i ever had an abnormal pap was after childbirth 15 years ago and it cleared up on followup. given the amount of stress i have been under this past year, she thinks my immune system is a bit overloaded and may be why they have just now appeared. She explained the procedure right off, just as you had yours, and that she just wants to be sure of what they are. She even called me back after hours to reassure me that my mammo & us were ok so that i had some good news today! i am not looking forward to it all but i really like her and trust her.
thanks again
|

replied November 21st, 2011
nethingpurple wrote:
captkit,
thank you for your biopsy experience. i just had my annual exam today and my doctor is having me come back in a few weeks for a vulva biopsy. i thought she was looking around quite a bit more than usual today-lol. she found a few small spots on the left side only that she doesn''t remember seeing last year. i have had no symptoms and the only time i ever had an abnormal pap was after childbirth 15 years ago and it cleared up on followup. given the amount of stress i have been under this past year, she thinks my immune system is a bit overloaded and may be why they have just now appeared. She explained the procedure right off, just as you had yours, and that she just wants to be sure of what they are. She even called me back after hours to reassure me that my mammo & us were ok so that i had some good news today! i am not looking forward to it all but i really like her and trust her.
thanks again

just wanted to know how this went?my dr wants to do this on me but im scared!!ive had severe itching for 6 months, and worst around my period .then it gets swollen as well.
|

replied December 16th, 2011
Vulvar Biopsy Today
I had a biopsy today after having itching and discomfort for months now. I am really scared since when I googled vulvar biopsy the only information that came up was about cancer. Has anyone else had a different outcome? My Dr. did not say what it may or not be and so I feel in the dark right now. Anyone?
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Deepak Anvekar
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska
User Profile
Deepak Anvekar
User Profile
Deepak Anvekar
Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....