Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Symptoms of Depression

Symptoms of Depression
Persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" mood
Feelings of hopelessness, pessimism
Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, helplessness
Loss of interest or pleasure in hobbies and activities that were once enjoyed, including sex
Decreased energy, fatigue, being "slowed down"
Difficulty concentrating, remembering, making decisions
Insomnia, early-morning awakening, or oversleeping
Appetite and/or weight changes
Thoughts of death or suicide, or suicide attempts
Restlessness, irritability
If five or more of these symptoms are present every day for at least two weeks and interfere with routine daily activities such as work, self-care, and childcare or social life, seek an evaluation for depression.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 22nd, 2003
Depression
My son has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and is taking ephedrine because he says he can't function without it. He says his feet feel heavy and he can't stay awake. He has been on meds for 2 yrs. for depression and has recently been changed to Topamax. (4 wks ago). Is he having a side effect of the drug or symptom of depression? He doesn't seem to feel depressed at this time. Confused
|

replied July 22nd, 2003
How would one know if they are suffering from depression or bi-polar? If most of the time life is great and you are able to overlook the "bad" things and then for a few days at a time you just are miserable and can't deal with it...is that just life or something else?
|

replied August 18th, 2003
Experienced User
That sounds like life to me greer, bi polar disorder is much different then just subtle changes like that. Bi polar is like two different poles of the world. People often describe an feeling of almost euphoria while on their highs and then their feeling of lows are of deep severe depression.
Tanya*xox
|

replied August 28th, 2003
Re: Symptoms of Depression
So, if I have 5 or more of these symptoms, and it doesn't last 2 weeks or more, I should not worry about it? I get like this (usually around my period) and it lasts maybe a week, sometimes a little more. I wonder sometimes if I should go on medication or something because it really effects my relationship quite a bit. I try to find creative ways to deal with it, but I just can't seem to get out of the funk. I end up picking apart my realtionship and blaming it for me feeling so empty inside, which ends up creating a fight. Any ideas on how to control this so it doesn't effect the love of my life?
|

replied February 12th, 2004
My bf is suffering from depression and it took me a long while to try to successfully persuade him to go for therapy. But then, he said if he's going to therapy, he and I have to seperate so that he can concentrate on his treatment. I don't know how I can help him...
|

replied February 12th, 2004
You can't really help someone with depression until they start to help themselves.My partner has been trying to get me into therapy but I am not ready to face it but its putting strain on our relationship.I need to give myself a shake really.
|

replied February 14th, 2004
It's so difficult to just be a bystander and watch him suffer. And at some point it affect our relationship coz I feel that he's trying to keep me out. He won't let him in and just shun me away. I do love him very much and want to help. I might the the next one in line who need help.
|

Has he been to see a counsellor to try and understand and deal with the depression?I have alot of anger in me from things that have happened and I sometimes feel numb inside.My partner tried to get me help but I refused until he made me realise that I was making us both miserable.I went on the defensive and started going on about how I am the one with depression and I am the one stuck with it he could walk away.He couldn't though because he loved me and that made me get help.I am now taking pills and still have off days like today,which happens to be valentines day,
i will have lots of hugs I think.What i'm trying to say is tell him what it is doing to you if he loves you he will put up more of a fight.Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.I hope it turns out well for you.Lots of luck and let me know if things improve or not.
|

Thanks for your support. We're working on it and i'll keep you posted for his progress. Thanks a lot again.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
Dr. Kelly Romirowsky
User Profile
Shafi Ullah Khan
User Profile
Anand J. Singh
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....