Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Birth Control And Laxatives

I had to take a laxative the night before last. I take birth control regularly and never miss, but I know I am close to when I am supposed to be ovulating. I've done some research online and have found that laxatives can interfere with the absorption of the pill. How long after I take a laxative do I have to wait to have sex without an additional contraceptive to be safe? Thanks so much!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 30th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
First, you don't ovulate while on the pill. The pill stops ovulation (except in some rare cases it has been documented to happen but most women don't ovulate on it). As far as using the laxative, i'd use backup protection at least until your bowel movements are normal again; if it were me, i'd use backup for about a week just to be sure.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...