Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Weed And Schizophrenia? (Page 1)

Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
Hello everyone. Two nights ago I smoked marijuana with a few of my roommates. I've probably done it over 15 times and never had a reaction like this. Anyways, what happened was I started having very strong hallucinations that I couldnt control. Every time I would try to go to sleep I would scare myself with some of my thoughts. It was very strange. This is probably the most i've ever smoked and i'm positive it wasnt laced or anything because the other people I smoked with were fine. The hallucinations lasted for several hours and I barely got any sleep the first night. Yesterday I didnt have any hallucinations but I still seemed to have a slightly altered state of mind, especially when I tried to sleep.

This has never happened to me before. I've never had any of these strange thoughts until this moment. Do you think I have sz but have somehow always been able to suppress it? Maybe the weed just made it beyond my control. I know weed can cause light hallucinations but this was like having full blown hallucinations right after another. I'd imagine it would be like taking a strong hit of lsd. What do you guys think?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ravager
|

User Profile
replied January 29th, 2007
Community Volunteer
Re: Weed And Schizophrenia?
buck88 wrote:
hello everyone. Two nights ago I smoked marijuana with a few of my roommates. I've probably done it over 15 times and never had a reaction like this. Anyways, what happened was I started having very strong hallucinations that I couldnt control. Every time I would try to go to sleep I would scare myself with some of my thoughts. It was very strange. This is probably the most i've ever smoked and i'm positive it wasnt laced or anything because the other people I smoked with were fine. The hallucinations lasted for several hours and I barely got any sleep the first night. Yesterday I didnt have any hallucinations but I still seemed to have a slightly altered state of mind, especially when I tried to sleep.

This has never happened to me before. I've never had any of these strange thoughts until this moment. Do you think I have sz but have somehow always been able to suppress it? Maybe the weed just made it beyond my control. I know weed can cause light hallucinations but this was like having full blown hallucinations right after another. I'd imagine it would be like taking a strong hit of lsd. What do you guys think?

just sounds like bad paranoia. Happens when some people smoke. Sounds like you should not be smoking weed. I never ever have felt like that upon smoking weed, but I have a very good friend that gets a tad odd once in a while when she burns.
|

replied March 13th, 2007
Experienced User
lil blaze, how can it just be paranoia when the author of the post is talking about full-blown hallucinations? you know there's a big difference between the two.
|

replied May 13th, 2009
don't worry
i remember when that used to happen to me
it was when i first started
i used to get like full blown schizophrenia and hear famous voices in my head
enjoy it while it lasts (;
its nothing like lsd, lsds bettttaaaahh hahah
|

replied June 23rd, 2009
its called a whitey get over it..
you will find that if you kept smoking you will eventually become unable to deal with sensory perception and need to lie down its a good thing auditory comes next it sounds to me like you were using your imagination and are just generally an unhappy person
well thats how it works for me
weeds great ive been smoking for 3 years and ive had some of the best and worst experiences of my life and someone like you comes in complaining about it
what you had was a mind altering experience induced by psychedelic drugs its not gonna go right every time just calm down
i know more than one person myself included who have had trouble sleeping ive been awake for 5 days before of course this was before my first real phycotic episode but its nothing to worry about just keep enjoying yourself cudos for trying weed
oh and yes i hate you ^^
|

replied June 23rd, 2009
Does sound like you just pulled a whitey and had a bad trip.

I dont think you just snap into Schizophrenia just like that, it comes on over time and gradually gets worse.

Ive had the same experiance as you years ago when i used to smoke weed pretty heavy, i'd say if you have the same haalucinations while your not stoned then that'd be something to worry about.

I used to smoke around a quarter of skunk or upto an ounce of resin a day, i smoked it religiously each day since i was about 13-17.

I cant help but think that the weed really messed with my head and caused my illness, i stopped smoking it because it got to the point that i just cudnt stand the hallucinations anymore and they were happening when i wasnt even stoned.

You seem sensible, stop smoking it.

Drink beer, that doesnt mess with your head as much.
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2009
Could someone tell me what a "whitey" is please.
|

replied June 29th, 2009
It's when you smoke to much, all the colour drains out of your face (giving the term 'whitey') it can make you feel sick, start hallucinating ect...
|

User Profile
replied June 29th, 2009
Oh... I didn't realize there was a name for that. Not that I've ever felt sick or anything - more like I'd crossed over to another dimension or something... I always thought smoking till you become near comatose was a goal as such Smile
|

replied July 27th, 2009
i actually have schizophrenia, undefined, which means i basically have all groups of schizophrenia. i am not catatonic often tho i mainly just hallucinate and have the racing thoughts and voices. i find that while high from weed my voices are gone and i hallucinate either alot less,not at all, or i have pleasant hallucinations. when im not i have very bad ones, demonic figures crawl from the walls and on to my bed, disappearing when they touch the bed at night. i dont know why you hallucinated but alot of my friends when they first started usually said they got a headache or felt like everything was heavy. your body is probly just getting used to it though so dont be afraid
|

replied July 27th, 2009
also you dont all of a sudden get schizophrenia, your born with it sometimes it doesnt become appearant until teen years because when your a kid your hyper and have imaginary friends (some kids do anyway) anyway so its impossible to treat a kid for anything unless it is severe. but there is one way u become afflicted with schiz. traumatic events usually do it, or unlock the dormant schizophrenic gene
|

replied October 8th, 2009
Oh advertisements and their ways
Isn't funny that FiberOne runs an ad about coping with disbelief on a paranoid schizophrenia blog..its like "I Can't believe it's not SNICKERS??! WELL BELIEVE IT!
|

replied November 1st, 2009
i had a mortifying experience with weed. i had smoked numerous times prior to this, but it was a good amount of months before i had smoked and i took several hits out of a bong and actually wound up passing out (dont know for how long) and was hallucinating in my sleep. i would wake up at moments and i caught myself trying to peel my skin off and all sorts of stuff. i couldnt talk even though i wanted to. time stood still and it was like i died and was in hell. then i would come back to "the world" as a puppy and it was just ridiculous. i had weird behavior and i couldnt make sense of anything. i also had an out of body experience. i thought i was a man in a straight jacket locked up in some sort of padded cell. i thought my friends i was with were in on the whole thing. a total whack mind warp. i would go in and out of this stuff. the hallucination was hours and hours long, and i didnt snap out of it for a good 48 hours. i thought it was just some weed, but all of my friends seemed fine.
so i gave it another shot (this time a blunt) and only took two hits and same thing happened again. except it lasted longer, YEARS later i was still going into a relapse of a hallucination and i got to the point where all i needed was to go somewhere secluded, drink water, and put water on my face and breathe deeply to calm myself down. parts in movies and music would easily send me into a relapse. even drinking beer i would hallucinate. so i did my own little research and linked it as best as i could to schizophrenia. its been about 2 years now since ive gone into one. but i think im fine now. i would never wish this experience on anyone. i guess a chemical in my brain had a severe reaction to THC. that or im just nuts. but i dont consider myself nuts i guess. i dont hear voices or see thing that isnt there. just a normal person now who had a live changing experience. be careful of what you put into your body.
|

replied April 21st, 2010
I''m 18 been smoking weed since i was 12 i have never ever hallucinated or anything like that if i''ve stopped smoking then started again after a while i might get a little paranoid but nothing like what has been said on here. Either you are attention seekers, just looking for a story to tell or your weed is badly contaminated with f*ck knows what( no offence lil_blaze2004 but you''ve only smoked like 15 times i doubt u actually really know the difference) or ur hypochondriacs. People with schizophrenia either dont know or have little ability to actually understand what their illness is. You need to stop listening to what the government wants to say on this matter, just be open minded and do a little research. I dont care if they say its a mild hallucigenic yeah fair enough i might be thinking nicer thoughts, may be seeing nicer pictures in my head but nothing that i actually think is real i know its still in my head. Oh and if u still say ur none of the above then i guess u just shouldnt smoke weed.
|

replied April 22nd, 2010
im a 31 year old female respectable honest hard working myself and now ex boyfriend smoked hash at home while watching film was great to relax wit i saw no harm in it and thought ppl must be on alot of stuff who done bad things ...anyway i smoked it more and more almost everynight for about 2 years then i started to be out of it all the time without realising it ...so i stopped smoking it i lost my job my home everything went wrong as i couldnt mamage myself ...doctors said i was depressed and paranoid im on 2mg of risperdal now a day i should of had the commom sense to stay away from hash it slowly ruined my life everyday is a battle to be normal now please please PLEASE stop smoking or taking any kind of drug its not worth it....
|

replied April 23rd, 2010
Experienced User
Serotonin receptors and MJ can do some weird things. I've had such bad panic attacks to the point of loosing control.
|

replied May 22nd, 2010
weed and shizophrenia
Something similiar happened to me as stated in the original post. One night I was smoking some weed in a bowl and yes I myself had probably smoked it 10 or so times before this. I was pretty baked, I passed out not long after it. I remembered everyone else smoking it and they were fine, a few of them were teenagers and years younger than me. Well I woke up at 6 AM SCARED TO DEATH. I was freaking out, having this terrible delusions, thinking thoughts that were frightening and disturbing. I thought I was gonna go to an insane asylum. I pondered thoughts that I was really dead, or maybe I had died years ago and I was living inside my head, or my thoughts were being controlled by someone or something, and thoughts of what really happens after death....do we float through eternal darkess? Is there really a heaven or hell? Do we go to some place that nobody knows of? These thoughts scared me and worst of all, these thoughts lasted for MONTHS. I swear weed gave me schizophrenia. Nothing anybody said could bring me out of it, because I believed they were programmed to say a certain thing. I felt everything around me was programmed a certain way and predetermined by the program controlling me and everything around me. And perhaps somehow the weed broke the link and I realized the truth. I am never smoking weed again.
|

replied June 17th, 2010
After "blazing" a couple of hours ago, I feel a lot more concerned than I usually do. I don't necessarily share the same feelings as some of the posts above but panicked when I saw the word "unlock" used frequently.

It's weird but all of a sudden - I felt schizophrenic.
I just felt like a link broke.

I am anticipating a bad trip

I think I'll leave this stuff out forever maybe.

Not worth it is it. Especially how I liked life just fine before.
|

replied June 17th, 2010
Don't read into your personality when you're high
|

replied July 11th, 2010
My son is 32 years old and I believe is in a psychiatric hospital now because of smoking weed. He has had ADHD problems in the past but never experienced anything like this. Some of what a couple of you related sounds like what he is going through. Evil thoughts, wanted to hurt others, scared, thinks he is dead, going to hell, etc. Now in the hospital they are pumping him full of psyche meds which seem to make him worse. He has two girls. His life may be ruined, had to quit his job and lost his apartment over this. NOT worth it. some of you sound like you like szo type experiences. I find that hard to believe but to each their own. Most folks do not want to experience what my son is experiencing. Please stop smoking weed.
|
Tags: sleep
Quick Reply