Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Getting Pregnant Forum

Can you menstruate and ovulate at the same time?

User Profile
My question is regarding ovulation and conception, let me preface by saying i'm 31 with three children and while I know many things about reproduction this has confused me.

I had a long cycle just pass I ended up being 5 days late and in an effort to determine if I was pregnant (i am not) I took both a pregnancy test and an opk. The opk was taken by accident due to similar packaging. I was on day 31 of a normally 28 day cycle. It came back as obviously positive. Because I was surprised by this I took two more throughout the day to be sure of the result and sure enough they were positive. I also had plentiful ewcm. Still no period the next day. Took another opk and it was clearly neg. Finally started cycle, 3 days after positive opk. So here's my question if in fact through some strange quirk I did ovulate on or around cycle day 31 and had unprotected sex around that time could I still concieve, considering that fertilisation takes place in the tubes and takes anywhere from 4-12 days for implantation to occur. I am on my period right now but I guess what i'm asking is could fertilisation occur in the tubes while on a cycle and if cycle passes quickly then have implantation occur.

I imagine it's unlikely but I was very curious and was hoping you could give me an answer to my lengthy and weird question

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 31st, 2007
Getting Pregnant Answer A2254
It is impossible to ovulate while having a period. An ovulation predictor kit (OPK) detects the presence of LH, Luteinisating hormone, in the urine. LH is always present in the blood regardless of the day you test during your menstrual cycle so the OPK will always show up positive. Several hours before ovulation, there is a peak in LH-levels that can be registered by the OPK with a line that is the same or darker than the control line. After the peak, the line in the kit still stays but is less dark than the control one. After ovulation, the ovulated follicle turns into a yellow body. The yellow body produces the estrogen and progesterone that prevent menstruation. The yellow body stays in the reproductive systems for about 14 days . After 14 days, estrogen and progesterone levels drop and menstruation occurs. This is why ovulation and menstruation can’t exist at the same time.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Getting Pregnant , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.