Can Anyone Relate to This??

User Profile
Edited because my picture is on here - not good to post...Oops

Last edited by ladylee70 on January 28th, 2007 12:36 AM; edited 1 time in total
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 27th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I am so sorry you are going through this. I have read what you have been through with your pregnancy thus far. I don't know exactly what you are going through, but I always suspected my ex had bi-polar disorder. He had a grandiose sense of self, a terrible temper, and over all was a genuine a$$ when he was in the manic or depressed stage. It can be very frustrating. A lot of really intelligent people struggle with mental health disorders.

Did medications help your husband when he took them before? Does he know you are at your wits end with him? Do you think if you told him exactly what you said here it would jolt him into talking to someone who could prescribe him some medications?

I would be cautious with how you approached him, as if he tends to lose his temper it wouldn't be safe for you if he became violent. You certainly don't need anymore stress in your life right now. I would somehow get the point across that he needs to straighten up and take care of his family.

Best of luck!!!!! Take care of yourself and your son!!!
|

User Profile
replied January 28th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Edited because my picture is on here - forgot!
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Sorry
|

User Profile
Experienced User
I am sorry to hear of your condition and what a terrible time to be dealing with your husbands problems as well. Bing around a someone that is bipolar is very difficult I know because I have been dating someone with bipolar for 3 years.

I have a few questions for you if you don't mind. How long have the two of you been together? How long have you know of his disorder? Have you ever been to the psych. Appointments with him? Did you notice while he was on his meds if they had helped?

Through the 3 years we did not learn of his condition until a year and a half ago. It was truely the worst roller coaster of life that we had to go through. He would lock himself away and not talk to anyone. Weather it be in his own mind where he looked like a zombie most of the time, working on his remote control toys, or just sleeping during every free moment that he had. It was as if no one else around him existed. We argued all the time or we just did not speak to eachother. This went on everyday for about 5-6 months solid until he was finally convinced to get in and speak to someone of the problem. Like you it was a threat either lose me or seek help and even his ex-wife was involved as well either get help or she was not going to let the kids be with him.

After a few samples of different combonations of meds they finally found one that worked for him. He became a different person a better person. He still will have his episodes it especially effects him during hard times. The times that it gets triggered is over the holidays as well, during high stress (job, money, health,) and sometimes he just wakes up that way and he can't explain why.

The hardest part of being with someone that is bipolar is to be understanding, supportive as much as possible and let them calm on their own if you are unable to assist. Meaning if him talking about what triggered his mood won't help him then he needs to have an "out" a hobby or something that might relax his mind off of the days happenings.

You yourself should try to do as much back ground investigating on the disease itself so that you may be able to understand what he does and why and maybe on how you might beable to help. If you are able to maybe even see about going to his psych. Doctor with him so that you can find out answers from him/her for yourself.

The things that I do know of those with bipolar disorder is that they have a difficult time maintaining jobs, have uncontrolable spending habits, definant mood changes,sometimes negative on day to day happenings or even life. There are many other side effects of the disorder as well and you might beable to find them on the net or through a doctor. Medication is highly suggested for those with bipolar and should always take the med. Missing a dose, abruptly coming off the med.,and of course stop taking the med can cause these effects to be worse. Keep pushing for him to get back onto the doctor to be placed on the meds again or yes be his "mother" and do it for him. Another side effect they can be percrastinators.

I understand that what you are going through is very difficult and that might be why he his in the mood that he is in. He also is going through stress, worry, anxiety and fear but bipolar patients and men in general show it in different ways. He needs to get back on the meds and soon so that he may get on a normal track for himself and his family so try real hard to be understanding and patient but trust me I know that that is difficult. Anyways good luck to you and if you have any questions don't e affraid to ask. You can pm me as well
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...