Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Hypotension: dizziness, nausea, and faint

User Profile
Everytime I take a shower, I become faint, light -headed and sometimes nauseous. My vision starts going a bit blurry, and I have to sit down for awhile or else I will pass out. I know it's not pregnancy because this has been happening since I was about 13 year old on and off, but here lately, it's gotten worse.

I start off okay for about the first 10 or 15 minutes I'm in the shower and then the symptoms start taking over. I'll have to sit down for awhile and only be able to stand up for about a minute before I will have to sit down again.

I can't take a bath as I am living in student accomodation without any baths.

I've tried looking for answers on-line to this, but haven't found any. I'm just wondering what this could be.

Thank you!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 31st, 2007
General Q&A Answer A2252
Given the symptoms you report (“I become faint, light -headed and sometimes nauseous; vision starts going a bit blurry every time I take a shower”) you could be experiencing arterial hypotension due to the warm water. Warm water can cause peripheral vascular dilatation that leads to hypotension. Warm water and an erect body position combined can cause arterial hypotension. You may visit your primary health provider for a physical examination and perhaps additional diagnostic procedures (ECG, for example).
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.