User Profile
I suffer from hemorrhoids and have had some bleeding off & on over the last 2 months, but nothing serious. The last 3 days I've experienced a discharge, that has grown darker & darker. I assumed this was a yeast infection after a course of antibiotics for a severe sinus infection. However, the discharge has now become a bit bloody, and I am passing air through my vagina. Last night the discharge turned dark brown, like fecal matter - I have experienced it off & on throughout the day. I've had no pain, no fever, no cramping - I have had some chilling. I typed symptoms on yahoo health & it said diverticulitis symptoms. Do I need to go to the emergency room for this, or can I wait until the weekend is over to see my regular physician?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 12th, 2007
Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass, and Colon Disorders Answ
It seems that brown discharge from the vagina can't be due to diverticulitis. Diverticulitis is an inflammation of an abnormal pouch (diverticulum) in the intestinal wall called the "diverticulum". Diverticuli are usually found on the colon. They manifest with abdominal pain, fever, chills, nausea and vomiting. Only the fistula between colon and vagina, which is one of the rare complications from diverticulitis, may cause gases and stool coming out from the vagina. This is a very unlike possibility, however, because such fistulas need a long time to develop and you would have more symptoms (pain, fever, chills, nausea and vomiting) before a fistula would occur.

There is a greater possibility that you are experiencing a gynecological problem rather than an intestinal condition. You could be experiencing some bleeding from the uterus, for example. You can consult your gynecologist about this.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Diverticulitis can affect any area of the digestive tract. Learn more about basic digestive system anatomy as we define what is diverticulitis here....
Do doctors know what causes internal inflammation of the digestive system? Are you at risk of developing diverticulitis? Learn more now....
Learn the characteristic signs of diverticulitis, and its possible complications here. Plus, more on when to seek help for diverticulitis in this section....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.