User Profile
This question isn't about myself, it's about my father. Just recently today he had severe muscle spasms in both of his arms and experienced a severe headache almost instantaneously and without warning. He's doing fine now, it's been about 30 minutes since it happened, I'm not sure what the cause was, and I'm still baffled. He has diabities and I was thinking that had something to do with it, but I didn't want to rule out them being symptoms of a stroke as he had similar symptoms to that. He wasn't really doing much at the time, just sweeping the floors, could you please tell me what happened?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 31st, 2007
Stroke Answer A2236
According to the description you provided (“instant, severe muscle spasms in both arms and severe headache”), your father could have experienced some type of seizure(s). Seizures can be due to many causes but originate from inside the brain: tumors, infections, vascular insults, trauma etc. Diabetes is a risk factor for experiencing vascular brain insults. Your father must visit a neurologist immediately to describe this episode, seek a diagnosis, and then begin any necessary treatment.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stroke , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.